1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

back up ps2 games with alcohol 120

Discussion in 'PS2' started by akg654, Jan 29, 2005.

1. akg654

akg654 Member

hi. i am new to backing-up games. i recently bought the swap magic software, but having a little problem backing-up my games. Using alcohol 120, i go to copy wizard and follow the options, but for some reason the next button can never be pressed. i tried to backup various games but still found the next button could not be pressed. Is it because i have a cd-r in the other cd drive? Do i need a dvd-r? Please help me to backup these games as i am a novice and am getting very frustrated!
    Thanks a lot

2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

For dvd games, try going with DVD Decrypter. Google dvd decrypter, downlod the software(its freeware), and on the DVDD site, go to the forum and find the guide section for an easy to use guide.

3. akg654

akg654 Member

ok i did that but when the disk was read, i cant decrypt it. i think its because it says - capacity 37,206,508kb and free space 24,708,964kb. Does his mean i dont have enough space on my computer to fit on a dvd?! Please help

4. akg654

akg654 Member

ne1 there?

5. bucs2002

bucs2002 Member

i too am having this same issue. i follow the instructions in alcohol 120 but the playstation 2 "datatype" disappears when i put a disc in the drive..?? i've made 3 coasters so far (1 with dvd decrypter and 2 with alcohol 120) :(

i have a v4 with a flip top that i just installed recently. the originals all play just fine but i have yet to burn a successful backup. my games are all currently 'dvd-roms' but i'm just not having any luck.

btw, i'm using verbatim 8x rated dvd+r's and i've used them with dvd x copy for years now with out any hiccups. thanks all.

6. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Well, there is one and only one reason why you are having trouble backing up your ps2 games, it is because you [bold]NEED[/bold] a dvd burner in order to back up your PS2 games. PS2 games use DVD format now-a-days, and a normal CD/RW burner simply cannot read the disc. Older games with the purple bottom are CD based games, and you can use your CD/RW burner for those games. Also, in order to use DVD Decrypter, you need a DVD burner as well (kind of obvious with the name having DVD in it). For the cost of two brand new games, you could pick up a DVD burner for around $100. Plus then you can backup movies as well, which is quite convenient.

And how big of a HD do you have?

7. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

bucs2002, here is what everyone will tell you on this site on "how to burn PS2 games."

1)Use DVD Decrypter to Read the game and put the ISO on your HD.

2)Use DVD Decrypter to burn the ISO image you made at 1x burning speed (do NOT go any higher than 2x ever)

3)If you want, and this is what I do, use Alcohol 120% to burn the image made from DVD Decrypter and burn at 2x. I just like the way Alcohol burns the games, it seems to be a little more reliable than DVD Decrypter in my opinion.

Also, if I were you I would change to -r dvd's. Mainly because I have heard many people having problems with +r's lately. Verbatim are good quality discs, so that should not be the problem. But try what I told you using #1 and #3 above and see if that works first. Let me know...

8. bucs2002

bucs2002 Member

right on! thanks there p-dawg. yea after posting this...i saw in the FAQ that (-R's) are the way to go..especially with my v4 PS2.

i'm off to the store now to get some -R's. i'll probably come back and use DVD Decrypter and report what happens. thanks!

9. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Well good luck!! -r's should make a huge difference.

10. akg654

akg654 Member

thanks guys. how cum my computer does not detect the game most of the time. It just comes up with I/O error. It has detected a games some of the times, but others it does not, i dont get it. plz help

11. bucs2002

bucs2002 Member

P...

It works! I went to Target and picked up a 20 pk spindle of TDK DVD-R 8x and waalaa!

Guess I'll stick to DVD+R's for movies and DVD-R's for PS2 games! Thanks man! I appreciate the help!

I guess you really are a ... 'a mutha****in' P.I.M.P.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  12. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

bucs2002, that's sweet man! haha, liked what you said. Peace out and good luck with future burns!.!

akg654, ok, first I just wanna make sure you have a dvd burner? 2nd, don't start freaking out yet, there are still many other programs out there to burn your ps2 games. Here is a little tutorial using CDRWIN.

[bold]Copying PS or PS2 games using CDRWIN[/bold]

Download a demo copy of CDRWIN 4.0a, because that is what I am going off of here.

1. Open/run the CDRWIN program.
    2. From the CDRWIN main interface menu click on the 'extract disc' button.
    3. Select the 'disc image/cuesheet' radio button (1).
    4. Enter the path location of the where you would like the image file created and stored. Input an image file name and remember to ensure that the file has a .bin extension. Name the file appropriately ensuring you do not use spaces and the name is under eight characters. (2)
    5. Set to 'copy raw' for all PlayStation games (4).
    6. Set the 'error recovery' button to 'ignore' (5).
    7. Disable 'jitter correction' (6).
    The table of contents on the disc determines how to configure the setup of CDRWIN. If, in the table of contents box, you observe either a) one Mode 2 Track or b) one Mode 2 Track and one Audio Track, set 'subcode analysis' to 'auto'. If multiple audio tracks appear, set the 'subcode analysis' to 'fixed'.
    8. Set 'read retry count' to a number of at least 50.
    9. Set the 'data and audio' speeds to '1X' or '2X' for best results.
    10. Click on the 'start' button and the copying process will begin.
    11. Once the disc has successfully extracted return to the main CDRWIN menu and click on the 'record disc' button.
    12. Select your CD-Writer form the pull down menu.
    13. Click the 'load cuesheet' button. Select your created image file and choose the *.cue file that was automatically created in the extraction process.
    14. Double-check that the proper *.cue file was selected. Its name will appear in this field.
    Set recording speed to '1X' for best results.
    15. Click on the 'start recording' button to begin the recording process.

If this doesn't work, we'll try something else.

13. Twinski

Twinski Regular member

Man pimpdawg you know nothing about ps2......Oh Snap yo.....You be trippin mad.......You got suuuurved.....ShaZam!............xbox's are way better.

14. Twinski

Twinski Regular member

OOOOOOOOH SNAP!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  15. oneluvdvd

oneluvdvd Member

PIMPDAWG,

I need help dude, and you seem like the smartest man here, I need step by step on how to burn a PS2 game. I have dvd decrypter,nero 6, Alcohol 120%, I got them all, now all i need is a step by step on how to do use the programs to burn a PS2 game, that will work in the dang thing! So if you get this drop me a step by step form or something, I need to make some backups of my little sisters game, just in case she sratched the crap out of them. Like spongebob the square pants! Thanks, Nick

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  16. palidin

palidin Member

i would also be interested in a step by step

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  17. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

first off, you guys should get your emails out of your posts because it against forum rules.

secondly, search the forums before you go posting away and then ask if you dont understand.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/15105

what version PS2s do you guys have and is it modified?

18. oneluvdvd

oneluvdvd Member

here are the specs of my ps2

Console: SCPH-50001
    Browser: 1.40
    CD Player: 2.00
    Playstation Driver: 1.11
    DVD Player: 3.00U

if that helps please help

19. palidin

palidin Member

im not sure if this ? is "legal" or not but i was wondering if i made a backup copy onto my comp and i didnt wna break or scrach my original is there ne way to play the back up on my comp ?

20. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Alright, oneluvdvd & palidin, I will give you the most basic step-by-step process on how to backup your games. nelswick is right though, you could have found a tutorial on this forum somewhere, just would have taken a few mintues if you would have searched.

Before I begin I wanna make sure that you guys have a mod chip or are using some kind of swap method. If you are, then you will be able to play these burned games in your ps2, otherwise, you will not be able to. Also, you will need a DVD burner and DVD-R discs (unless burning older ps2 games that are cd based). Discs I have used and have gotten to work consist of Memorex, Verbatim, & Ritek.

Program Needed...

1)DVD Decrypter

[bold]Using DVD Decrypter...[/bold]

1)Open up DVD Decrypter

2)Put in the ps2 game you are going to backup

3)Go to "Mode" "ISO" "Read"

4)Choose a destination for the ISO you are going to create (make sure you have atleast 5 gigs on your hard drive available)

5)Click the Decrypter button on the bottom and the process will begin

6)When the process is done, go to "Mode" "ISO" "WRITE"
    NOTE: Make sure to burn at 1x for best results!

7)Find the ISO you put on your hard drive and then click the Write button on the bottom and your done!