1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back up troubleshooting... sorta

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by andro1d, Jan 22, 2007.

1. andro1d

andro1d Regular member

Just had a couple questions that I could use some answers for. Here goes:

When I start up my 360 with my backups, they will all play fine, no problem. After an hour or 2 goes by and I switch out to play another game, it will stay on the dashboard screen saying "Open Tray", rather than what I'd like it to be saying "Play Game". So what I do is take it out, turn off the system, and blow on the disc, and wipe (if I see) any blemishes that are on it. Now after the system is off for a few minutes an dI try it up again, it will work. My question is this, are my back ups working cuz I'm blowing on them and all that, or because the system is getting hot, and it being turned off is cooling it down. I think maybe it's overheating since when I first start it up for the day, I have always zero problems. So am I right about the overheating?

Now, if it is in fact overheating, should I get an intercooler? I've read reviews on the Nyko one and apparently it sucks and is destroying fellow gamers consoles. So that makes me super skeptical. Is there some kind of fan I can get that would be good? Should I stick to just chilling out for a few minutes and let it be turned off? Who's got the helpful info?

2. andro1d

andro1d Regular member

Thanks for the input everybody, very helpful.

3. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

First I gotta say forum rule 7. Describe your problem specifically -- including the thread topic, because this helps people who are willing to answer to you.

They've been numerous posts which are VERY generally titled and most members will just pass over them. I'm not ragging on ya, just trying to help. That being said, I'll see if I can give you a hand.

The intercooler got some bad press a while back, but there hasn't been anything reported lately. It was suspected to be a bad batch and nyko claimed to replace any 360 this affected. I've used my intercooler since July with zero problems.

One drawback, it's loud (unless they've gone with a different fan lately).

Or you can opt for the Whisper fan. It replaces the stock 360 fan, is clear, and comes with either red, blue, or green leds. It plugs right into the stock connector on the mobo.

I've installed a few of these. They are Whisper-quiet. That actually bothered me at first. I was use to the intercooler. But they work fine.

One drawback, they've installed a led right on top which interferes where the fan slips into the case. No big deal. A little bending and everythings fine.

Do you make your own backups? If so, have you tried burning at 4x? This has helped many who've had "open tray" errors.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  4. andro1d

andro1d Regular member

Yah they were all burned at very low speeds. So in the end are we thinking that overheating is in fact the problem? Yah some people are saying the nyko one is ok, but I still hear more nays than yays. Perhaps I should surround my 360 in dry ice!

5. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Well really, if something is working good, you'll never hear anyone complain about it. It's only when something go's bad then they'll start yelling.

If you're 360 is overheating it'd most likely freeze up (ironicly) on you. Extra cooling is always good, but before spending money I'd suggest burning a game at 4x. Then run one of your old ones for awhile, swap it out with the new one, and see if it fires up.

6. andro1d

andro1d Regular member

Cool thanks brosef

7. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

NOOO!
    See here!!!

~Domreis

8. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

Forget the nyko, its crap
    get yourself an intec glow stand, draws its own power, and is very efficient.
    Also, if you wanna go a step furhter, get a whisper fan, 10x better than the original 360 fan

9. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

For the price the intercooler works great and doesn't involve opening the 360 up.

10. Domreis

Domreis Regular member