1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

back up

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by celtboy, Jan 31, 2007.

1. celtboy

celtboy Guest

hi guys, I'm running windows xp home edition and have quite a 'lot' of music files stored, i want to back them up onto disc.
    what is the best disc to use for this,what is the best formatt,and in general how to go about it the right way??
    (i have media player,real player,cyberlink)
    thanks celtboy

2. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

The simplest way to back up the files is to just burn them as data to a dvd. You can store a lot on one of these disks. Any burning program should be able to this for you.

You may or may not be able to actually play this disk in a standalone machine. This ability would depend upon the format of the music files; mp3, wma, or whatever and whether the player will accept/read a dvd. For example, a CD player may not read a dvd; or your dvd player must be able to handle mp3,etc.

But for simple storage capacity, I would use that dvd. The capacity of a DL dvd boggles the mind! You could always access the disk later to retreive the data.

3. celtboy

celtboy Guest

thats great,can i use dvd dl r/w?
    so by useing dvd i will use less disks?
    would it be a good idea to back up my photos as well?
    is there any other info on pc that i should back up?
    celtboy

4. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

Yes, you can put most any file you want on the disk; music, photos, whatever. Store and access it later. A typical cd holds 700mb, a dvd holds 4.7gb, and I expect a DL dvd should hold about twice that amount.

Your dvd burner must be able to handle DL disks.

What you store is up to you; anything you don't want to lose.

5. bkf

bkf Guest

You do not want to store important stuff on rewritable media. They have a very short life span even if untouched. They are not stable.
    Use +R or -R

6. celtboy

celtboy Guest

nice one, is there any system files i would need to back up in order to re-boot pc if i have a failer??

7. bkf

bkf Guest

No only a ghost image can do that. An exact copy of the entire drive.
    But stay away from rewritables, They have their uses but they are also very fragie. At best I can use one like sony +RW for maybe 5 reburns before it goes in the trash. Duel layer is not worth the chance. The price is way over the top and they die real easy.

8. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

I have only seen +/- DL disks. I do not believe they even make a DL rewritable.

But, true. Stick with the one time disks in any case.