1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backed up DVD's freeze towards the end of the disk?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by kakadu44, Apr 25, 2005.

1. kakadu44

kakadu44 Member

hi there i recently backed up 3 of my fav films..I used DVD Shrink to make an ISO Image file..Then i burnt them using Nero .....
    Whilst testing the titles in both my Notebook and Home dvd player all 3 titles started to freeze regularly but yet continue to play always towards the end of the film...
    what could be the problem here?
    thanx

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

3. bassnut

bassnut Regular member

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  4. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

If you use shrink and nero, there is no need to make an iso and then open nero seperately. You can have shrink use the nero burning rom so that when it is done encoding, it will start to burn automatically.

The media you are using is possibly the culprit. You can either change the target so that the burn doesn't reach too far to the end of the disc's dye, or you can slow down your burning.(the disc spins faster the further the lens gets from the center of it)

Like mort suggested, find out what the media code is for your discs, the quality might be the issue. Also, let us know the speed you burn at.

5. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I've seen this problem, even with GOOD media, but it happens more with bad media. My movies that did this only did it in a few players, so I say it's not necessarily the media but the combination of media and player.

6. kakadu44

kakadu44 Member

This is my info regarding the disk i am using:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:CMC MAG-E01-000]
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [Not Available]
    Manufacturer Name : [CMC Magnetics Corp.]
    Manufacturer ID : [CMC MAG]
    Media Type ID : [E01]
    Product Revision : [Not Specified]
    Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6MB = 4.38GB (4.70GB)]
    Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]

So what now shld i chg media or slow down my burning or just compress the subject more so i dont get close to the edge of the disk? Or is it quite literally a combination of everything and only experimenting will resolve the issues..

thanx

7. kakadu44

kakadu44 Member

just to clarify what exactly does the media code represent?
    and where can one obtain info on different media codes?

thanx

8. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Her is site that will give more info on media

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Burning at slower rate is better I go with 4x usually and for more compressed movies 2x. You can set your compression to 4300 that will help you not to burn so close to the edge. You are using CMC Mag disks not one of the better mfr.

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Typical symptom of CMC Mag. Back to the golden rule: use good, proven, quality media. Try some Maxell's, Fuji's, verbatum datalifeplus's (azo dye) Taiyo Yuden's.

10. wajax

wajax Member

thats why i just dont use .iso to burn dvd's it's a quick way to get a movie on a disc - not a reliable way - i burn full d1 dvd on benq 8x +r(dvd-5) discs and leave the speed on max. the discs burn at 16x without a hitch in dvd format in under 30 minutes and no coasters -

sys. gigabyte mobo/ 2.5ghzp4 northwood/ 2x 512 ddr333/soundblaster7.1/ati9800pro/120gb hitachi-hd/450watt psu/case mod/2x benq 1620 DL/16x dvd+/-rw

11. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I burn ISO movies all the time without ever having a problem.

Most people burn at 4x or less, burning at higher speeds gives you higher chances of errors.

A 4x burn takes about 15 minutes, an 8x burn takes about 10 approximately. If you are burning at 16x and it takes almost a half hour, you have problems.

12. wajax

wajax Member

i burn at 16x not as .iso as full d1 in dvd format - there is a difference between .iso (data) and dvd format -if i burned at 16x in .iso it would take less than 5 minutes

13. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

I wouldn't burn anything pass 8X on a dvd-r [movie back up] regardless of the capabilities of my burner. Sometimes at 16X it will cause your stand alone player to skip or freeze in the future by not reading the dvd-r properly. However, if I'm burning a cd-r [audio cd - making my songs collection], then yes... I'll go with 24X or sometimes 40X due to the cheap cd-r media.