1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

backed up game wont work... :( help :( :( :(

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by benh, Jan 15, 2007.

1. benh

benh Member

hi ppl,
    i recently got a game...called Evangelion 2. I borrowed it from a source for like....5 minutes...and went to a computer. i then tried to burn it but there was no dvd decrypter or nething like that on the computer. so wat i did was i simply copied the game files off the dvd, and burn it with Nero Burning Rom as a "DVD-ROM (UDF/ISO) Disc" (last on the list in nero) i then tried to play the game on ps2, however it wont work. the ps2 logo wont even come up. i then checked to make sure the system file was correct. and this is wat i got:

BOOT2 = cdrom0:\SLPS_252.99;1

VER = 1.01

VMODE = NTSC

I made sure that the path for the SLPS file was correct. Did i do something wrong by simply copying then pasting, and burning it.? Did the game lose some sort of formatting by me simply copying and pasting the game? Is the system file wrong? If so...please correct me :)
    I have been looking all over for this game...aand i finally found it...and it doesnt work correctly. Also...the game that i backed up did work, i tested it b4 i copied and pasted it. However...wen i burned those files to a disc..it didnt work. I burned the files to some TDK DVD-R disc. The souce disc was also a dvd. so the game should work. any help would b extremely appreciated. :)
    thanks in adnace ppl

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  2. sinners

sinners Regular member

Err... You gotta make an image before you burn. Copying and pasting won't work. You'll lose its file structure and some important info.

Nero should allow you to make an image file, or you could have done a "burn on the fly" if there was another DVD drive.

Make an image copy, or just copy the game using Nero. That should be enough. No copy and pasting :)

If there weren't some hidden files (sub files) or what not, you might be able to recompile the game... but meh...

Read this: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/368258
    It was in the sticky...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  3. keltin29

keltin29 Member

You can’t just copy a PS2 game like that, you need to rip the image in order to save the file structure. There is a ton of hidden information at the head of the disc that a copy will not grab.

However, if you use CDVDGen then you can actually rebuild the disc using that data that you simply copied since CDVDGen will rebuild the opening file structure of the disc.

Basically the first 280 LBAs of a PS2 disc are occupied by system information, and without that information there, the disc wont’ be recognized. CDVDGen puts that information back in.

Otherwise, rip the disc image to ISO which preserves the file structure.

4. benh

benh Member

ok.
    so ur saying i can possibly get teh game to work if i just rebuild an image using cdvdgen? how do i do it? do i just import all teh files...then make the image then burn it with dvd decrypter?
    srry...im kinda a noob.

5. steimy

steimy Active member

It may need rebuilding and it may not. But either way you need to get the original disc back.
    Use DVD Decrypter to create an ISO
    Then burn it and test it to see if it works, if not then you can take the ISO you made and go through the rebuilding process, then burn the new ISO you made doing it. Either way this will allow you to always have an original copy of the ISO on your PC to fool around with.

6. keltin29

keltin29 Member

The biggest problem you’re faced with now is the exact order the files were in on the disc image.

You’ve already copied the files themselves, and with CDVDGen, you can rebuild the image and then convert it to a correct and working ISO.

The easiest thing to do would be to get the disc back and rip it with DVDDecrypter.

If that is not an option, you need to figure out what order the files are supposed to be in.

Watch this tutorial:
    http://www.exploitstation.com/videos/cdvdgen.htm

Here they take an original ISO and extract all the files. Notice the ISO shows the correct order of the files which is very important.

They then drag and drop all of the files, in the correct order, into CDVDGen. From there you can export the IML file and use IML2ISO to get your working ISO back.

Since you already have the files, all you need to do is figure out the correct order, and then use CDVDGen to build the ISO using the files in the correct order.

The hard part is going to be figuring out the correct order of the files. I did a quick check of the net and couldn’t find the filelist, but perhaps on another forum for the game itself there is someone that has the full ISO and can give you the filelist.

It looks like the game is an import, so you may have some trouble finding it, then again, since it is an import, there should be plenty of people that have hacked it so that they can import and play it.

And I'm assuming this is DVD5 (single layer) game. If it is dual layer (bigger than 4.3 GB), you'll have to do much more work to get it working.

7. benh

benh Member

nah...thanks for all ur help though. i guess i just gotta bite the bullet and accept that the game doesnt work. its a real shame...i have been looking all over for this game for 2 years. lol. and wen i went to thailand for vacation...there was a place that rented ps2 games....so i rented the game (wat a lucky find :) ) however...wen i went to teh internet cafe to burn it...they didnt have dvd dyrcpter....so i just copied and pasted...however i was so damn stupid.....that a realised wen i was in the plane coming back to australia...that the comptuer had NERO..i could have just used nero to make an NGR image of the game. o well...shit happens i suppose. lol