1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backed up movie is skipping

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by divsteph, Jan 18, 2005.

1. divsteph

divsteph Member

Help! I've been using shrink for a while with no problems but since a couple of days ago every DVD I backup starts skipping as soon as the movie starts, I am running shrink in low priority mode and have tried burning with DVD decrypter instead of nero but with the same problem. The output files from shrink work fine when I play them from the HDD just when I try to burn them.

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

skipping, and freezing, is usually signs of bad media,try taiyo yuden,verbatim,or ritek.
    you didnt mention what your using, so im guessing your using the cheap stuff.

3. divsteph

divsteph Member

I'm using Datawrite media. Its definatly cheap but i've backed up many times before using this media without problem then suddenly about 10 fails in a row.

4. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Thats the thing about cheap media,its very inconsistent.
    The question is,how long will it take for those backups on the cheap stuff,take before they no longer play?

5. divsteph

divsteph Member

well thats a good question, what do you think? Is it a matter of time till they stop working or usage?

6. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

I think if its one thing you'll learn around here, is to never scrimp on media.
    You can get riteks for around 50 cents a disc online,so why buy the cheap stuff?
    As for a timeline for failure(on the cheap stuff) I couldnt venture a guess.Ive heard of some experiencing backups that wont play, after as little as a year.

7. divsteph

divsteph Member

I've got about 100 of these cheap discs left so i'll keep burning till I get a good copy!!

8. divsteph

divsteph Member

You said 'usually' a sign of cheap media is there anything else I could try?

9. rafigold

rafigold Regular member

you didn't say what speed you are burning at. you can try burning at a slower speed and see if that helps.

10. divsteph

divsteph Member

I thought I read somewhere that burning at lower speeds can cause problems. It can't hurt to try it though.

11. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Nothing could be further from the truth.
    I never burn over 4x and you should, in your case try burning at 2x.
    You could also,click on(in shrink) edit/preferences/target dvd size/custom/lower the number to around 4300 so you wont be writting on the outter edge of the disc where the dye is thinner(chronic problem with cheap media)

12. divsteph

divsteph Member

Burn't three DVD's with reduced speed and seems to have solved the problem. Many thanks.

13. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

I have had 3 different DVD burners over the last year and a half and have also tested friend's burners. I found that if you keep burning at your burner's maximum speed, it will tend to give you problems down the line. Just using the speed below the maximum seems to hold up over the long run. So if you have a 16x burner use 12x and if you have 12x use 8x and so on. I like being able to burn quickly, but not at the expense of a failed burn. Doesn't hurt to use good media, too.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005