1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up a beat up DVD

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by bonitah, Feb 24, 2005.

1. bonitah

bonitah Member

I have been trying to back up a DVD that is a tad beat up..
    Things I have tried..
    dvd shrink - wouldn't complete the analyse
    dvd decrypter - file mode - movie worked on the hard drive but when I tried to shrink I got a missing vob file error...then I tried to fix that with ifoedit. Heres where I did go wrong I think...ifoedit said it fixed the files and put them in a new folder...well I wasn't entirely sure of what to do with those files so I copied them into the original folder (the one shrink gave me the missing vob file error on. )
    Well coping those files was not a good thing...I couldn't do anything with the ripped files. So I got rid of them. In about here I tried the "Scuba Pete Scratched Dvd Cure All" sans the vodka ..because I didn't have any vodka and no orange juice..hehe...I then tried to re rip with dvd decrypter only this time I tried iso read mode. and that didnt work either...I only got another drive not ready error after about an hour and a half of it trying to create an iso file...

I dont know what I did wrong...but if anyone could give me some advice or a step by step guide to trying to back up this disc I would sure appreciate it...
    I'm really getting fed up...LOL

thanks in advance..:)
    bonitah

2. wild77

wild77 Guest

When you ripped it to your hard drive with Decrypter did you get any read errors? Did you try to watch the movie from your hard drive with PowerDVD or another program?

3. bonitah

bonitah Member

yes there were read errors, but it did play fine from the hard drive, I didn't watch the whole thing but I did watch it in various places and it seemed to work fine. When I got the read errors I think it gave me the opportunity to "try again" I clicked yes and it went on with the ripping...oh yes..when I did this rip with dvd decrypter, it was NOT on the aggressive setting..and the error tab was set to "ask" when I did it in iso mode I changed the settings to the ones described in Scuba Pete's recommendations.

I tried so many ways I can hardly remember what happened when...if you know what I mean...LOL

Any "detailed" ideas to retry this would be great...however when I say detailed I mean step by step including the various settings I should be using ...cuz I am dvd burning virgin...LOLOL

thanks for the help.. :)

bonitah

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey dvd burnin virgin,lol, That's hot!!!!

I haven't had any luck doing it this way,but others have.

Set dvd decrypter to "rip with brute force" and "ignore all read errors".

You could also try a disc repair kit. Some like the electric skip dr. Again,i had no luck with it. I'm just plain bad luck. Even scuba pete's vodka/orange juice concoction didn't help.

At least you got it to your hard drive,I couldn't get that far. Good Luck

5. Agent0008

Agent0008 Regular member

I use some stuff called CD Skip Fixer - it's like a car wax you rub on, let drive and then rub off. It does a pretty good job of filling the cracks and makes some pretty bad DVD's readable. Of Course I have to polish them 2 or 3 times but eventually I get a copy I can play.

I pick it up at the local Videogame store.