1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

backing up a ps2 game

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by yavel, Mar 30, 2005.

1. yavel

yavel Member

Hello, I've never backed up a ps2 game so I want to know how to do this. Which software do I need, do I need a modchip or a swap disk. Is there a way to play a backed up ps2 game without a swap disk or a modchip because I don't want to modify my PS2.
    Thank you

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  2. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

3. yavel

yavel Member

THX for your reply, but do I really need a swap disk or a modchip??? And which of those to is the best to use.

4. Legir

Legir Member

I got swap magic 3.3(there is a new 3.6 out) and it is easy to change up a ps2(not slim version) to make it work. All you do is take off the face of the cd tray and that's it. I did break one of my face clips, but oh well. It was a little tricky to use the slide tool(to pull out the cd tray) at first, but I got the hang of it now. And it cost me just $30. I'd say that is a good bet.

5. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

If you go the swapmagic route, with an older model (not slimline) you can either use the slidecard or buy a fliptop cover for it. If you have the slimline, then you can get a slim fliptop replacement, slimtool, or tapemod.

If you go with a modchip, you will either need to solder it in yourself or have it done somewhere. But, doing this eliminates the whole 'swap' part of it. The backups should boot just like the originals.

6. pjfclee

pjfclee Member

swap magic vs modchip depends on the money you are willing to spend.

i was like this contemplating which one to get and i chose swap magic and very glad i did.
    Easy reliable and very cheap considering what you are getting from it.
    and rememeber to get dvd decrypter for all your backup needs

7. yavel

yavel Member

But that's bit of a problem because I have the new slim PS2 console and I don't know if swapmagic works on this one.

8. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

SwapMagic works fine on the slimline. A replacement fliptop lid, slimtool, or tape mod with work fine with it.