1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up audio CDs on DVDs?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Wolfgan, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Wolfgan

Wolfgan Member

I read most of related threads and DVD specs but I'm still unsure this can be done.

I want to back up some audio CDs with live music (standard 44.1K stereo), on a DVD media that can be played directly somehow (I have an universal player already, Pioneer 563A).

My current backup system is a collection of SHN files on DVDR media, good for data backup and recovery purposes but unplayable except in a computer.

These are my conclusions:
    * Can't backup to audio tracks on a DVD video as the PCM specs require 48K sampling rate, meaning I need to resample my audio tracks (not wanted, I want a 1 to 1 backup).
    * Can't backup to a DVD-Audio on PCM tracks as they are compressed to MLP and assembled to AOB containers, and then I can't rip them back in case I need to regenerate the CD media.

Do anyone have any suggestion to achieve my goal?
    Thanks in advance, Wolf.

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

all dvd media, both video and audio are compressed, so no, you can't make 1:1 copies of audio CDs and put them on DVDs to play.

you have two options. if you want to play the DVDs, make a DVD-Audio disc. although compressed they sound quite good. not as good as SACDs though, but that doesn't really matter because both DVD-Audio and SACDs are higher quality than CDs to begin with.

if you want to archive your CDs to DVDs for backup, create image files of them (iso, bin/cue, nrg...) and then burn them to a Data-DVD for storage and you can them burn those images at a later date which will result in a copy of your CD.

3. Wolfgan

Wolfgan Member

Thx DJScoop. I thought that too.

I may archive to PCM (lossless) but need to resample, or to MLP Lossless but can't rip back.

It seems I'll keep backing up in SHN or FLAC for the time being...

Thanks again. Wolf.

4. jjolson

jjolson Member

Well, Wolfgan. You have already found the correct thread: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/168876
    so the erroneus answer above won't hamper you anymore. You can archive CD audio on a DVD-Audio disk exactly as it is, without MLP compression (which would be lossless and reversible anyway) and you can get it back to CD again.

5. RussReef

RussReef Guest

Why can't you just backup your CD's to lossless audio (i.e., FLAC or Wavpack) and keep the cue sheets...

Then, you could always recreate/burn the original CD, right? Or am I missing something here?

That makes more sense than just winzip-ing or rar-ing (an iso, bin/cue, nrg of the disc).... right?

Or, am I again totally missing something? (Thanks... I'm a totally noob to lossless audio)

Also... it seems like SHN is losing favor quickly... Maybe convert everything to FLAC before SHN support runs out.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2005
  6. djscoop

djscoop Active member

sure you could do that, but you wouldn't have an exact image of the original CD, just a re-created one. I suppose it is an option though

7. Wolfgan

Wolfgan Member

That's what I'm doing now. The main idea was not only have those flacs/shns discs as backup, but also be able to play them directly somehow (I have an universal player already, SACD / DVD-A) w/o needing a computer.

As I said, I know I can make DVD-A @ standard 44.1K stereo, but how can I get/rip the wav files back to rebuild the live CDs?
    Thanks, Wolf.