1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up avi files

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by hammer04, Dec 17, 2004.

1. hammer04

hammer04 Member

Hi,
    Earlier this year I took my camcorder to australia to meet a lot of my family for the first time. ( I have a Sony Hi-8 Camcorder) On returning I ripped them all onto my pc in AVI format using Premiere or something like that. THey total 37gb of which I have two copies, one for using and possibly destroying and one for backup. Now I have need of formatting my pc, so I could really do with getting a reliable form of backup. I don't have any spare storage space to move them onto, I need to take them from the computer. A Nero backup took six hours and failed late in disk 5. Any ideas?

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

well, thats almost 8 dvds of data, which isn't too bad. But if you want a decent amount of backup storage, external hard drives are coming down in price. Or for even cheaper, you can buy the external case and HD separately, and put them together yourself. Basically and HD is still the cheapest GB for your dollar. You could get a 80 gig drive for less than $1 per gig, then about $30 for the external case. That way you would also have enough storage to do a backup image of your C drive as well. Just an idea.

Unless you want to go super hi-tech and get Sony's new external blu-ray disc recorder, a bargain at only $3295. 25GB RW discs cost $50.