1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

backing up copy protected pc games

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by tambycat, Feb 10, 2005.

1. tambycat

tambycat Guest

Hi, all. I am completely new to this pc game stuff and I want to back up my copy protected pc games. I am clueless about the whole process. Would really appreciate help along the lines of an 'Idiot's Guide'! Are there any equivalent downloads to Clonecd, Blindwrite and Alcohol 120%? Freeware or Shareware preferably. Also, what is alcoholer?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

There are no freeware apps for backing up PC games so you're going to have to pony up for one after the trial versions are over.

The two most common protections are SafeDisc and SecuROM so here are a couple of threads that'll give you a good idea of what's involved as far as software and settings for each one:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/157664

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/117498

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/134052

Please post back with any further questions :)

3. tambycat

tambycat Guest

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I rushed ahead before I received your reply and downloaded a trial version of CloneCD. So far I have made back up copies of my games CATWOMAN and ROLLERCOASTER TYCOON 2. Both of which won't work. I can install them but when I try to play nothing happens. I just stay on the desktop. Am I doing something wrong?

4. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Some programs ask the writer what kind of cd is inside the drive (a blank or a pressed disc). This is the so-called ATIP check which can only be performed by cd writers and combo drives. In case the ATIP check reveals that there is a blank in the drive, the program refuses to run.
    In that case activate the 'Hide CDR Media' function. The 'Hide CDR' function is a special feature from CloneCD and should work on most Windows systems regardless of the burner type.
    By activating the CloneCD tray tool you are able to hide CD-R media from being detected by protected programs with a right-click onto the referring icon. This useful tool can be activated in the CloneCD menu (Start->Program files->SlySoft->CloneCD->CloneCD Tray).

5. Sir-Age

Sir-Age Regular member

I backed up roller coaster tycoon a while ago and I just dragged the files to a folder and burned them as a data cd and it does let me intall and stuff.

6. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

dragging and dropping huh? I wish it was that easy.

RollerCoaster Tycoon has no protection, try that with a game that has protection on it and tell me your method worked.

7. tambycat

tambycat Guest

Can someone please tell me why I can't launch the alcoholer.rar download from Free Download Manager? FDM says the download is complete but Windows XP keeps telling me it can't open a rar file? Why? And do I really need alcoholer anyway? Thanks for the 'dragging tip'. Is that as easy to do as it sounds? I did say I was new to this!!!

8. Sir-Age

Sir-Age Regular member

@ geestar20

here are a few I "dragged and dropped"

Roller coaster tycoon 2,
    fifa 2004,
    age of empires 2,
    age of empires 2 expansion.

Thats all i can remember

BTW this is only for install not for playing cause it says wrong cd inserted for all.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  9. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

then the "Dragg and Drop" method doesn't work.

@-tambycat-

You probably need winrar to open a rar. file

Ive never used alcoholer so I have no answers for you on this issue.

10. Sir-Age

Sir-Age Regular member

(stupid question, yeah)

Can you backup a game, install it and play it without it saying "wrong cd inserted"?

I thought there was some encryption that could tell it wasn't the real disc or can some programs do this?

11. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

These programs can

Alcohol 120%
    Blindwrite
    Clonecd

12. Sir-Age

Sir-Age Regular member

Thanks for the help geestar20
    I already have alchohol 120% (trial) and Blindwrite.

13. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

if you have any questions feel free to ask.

14. netsyanks

netsyanks Member

I try to click on HIDE CDR MEDIA but its gray and im not able to click on it and i have the copy in wat do i do?

15. mofofox3

mofofox3 Guest

I have a Questions for the AfterDawn team. I have here RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 orig copy. I am trying to make back ups of it so i do not have to move the disk from PC to PC.

In my reading i have used the folling software:
    Aray Scanner V 2.0.2.2 "details SecuROM 5.03.06.0020 detected"
    Alcohol 120% Trial Ver 1.9.5 (Build 2802)
    The backup installs fine, but replies (Please Insert Orig Disc see Securom website for details)

I have also tried:
    Game X Copy
    Mini Image

Considering
    Blind Write v5.2.16
    CloneCD or whatever it is

How can i make this work AfterDawn?
    Your solutions for my DVD-R problems worked great hopefully you can help THANKS in advance and sorry for the long message.

My Equipment (Burners)
    Plextor CD-R PX-320A
    TDK DvDRw 1280B

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2005
  16. mhurst

mhurst Member

Hi guys,

I am trying to backup my copy of Championship Manager 2005, it installs OK but when I come to play it I get a window saying "No CD in the drive" I have used CD clone to copy it and the "hide CDR media" option is ticked.

Hope you can help

Mike

17. mactr3

mactr3 Member

if u ask me u would be better off just backin up ur iso or bin or whatever ur image is in data format. Then u can use daemon tools (i love this app cuts cd-r usage in half). It has securerom and safedisc features so they will almost always work. This way you can just back up 3 or 4 images as data on a dvd+-r and ur set. Daemon tools is always being updated and improved so no probs there and even if it does go outdated just burn ur images later.

18. KnightG

KnightG Member

Hi All

I have just backed up my Doom 3 game which installs and plays no problems using the following programs
    Cloney xxl
    Alcoholer
    Alcohol 120%

1.Insert game into burner
    2.Open Cloney and select scan disk (which will tell you it is safedisk v2 protected but Doom 3 is Safedisk v3.2 protected)
    3.Open Alcoholer
    4.Under the heading "1.Selecting a Profile" change the "CD Data" field from Safedisk v2 to Safedisk v2.9x(only need to change for games with Safe disk v3.2 ealier version can be left as detected by Cloney eg Stronghold, Age of Empires 2)
    5.Click on start Alcohol 120% which opens the Alcohol 120 % application
    6.Select Copy Wizard
    7.Select Next
    8.Select Next
    9.Select Start
    10.When all is complete close everything down and you are done :)

Please Note you should see a crap load of Disc Read Errors at the start of the burning phase!!

For disks 2 and 3 repeat all steps except step 4 because thier is no protection on these two disks.

Hope this helps someone

Last edited: Jun 8, 2005
  19. andmerr

andmerr Guest

i'm a little curious on what version of clone cd that you downloaded