1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up damaged DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mrSimonUK, Dec 9, 2007.

1. mrSimonUK

mrSimonUK Member

Heya. I've been looking around for a solution but I've had no luck.

I have an old home video DVD which I would like to rip, so I can include in a new edit. However the DVD is visibly damaged. Although it isnt scratched, there are large spots around the edge of the disc about the size of a pea, which I assume is completly missing data.

Ideally I would like to just rip the vobs from this disc, filling any corrupt data with blank space, so I could utilize this damaged file.

I have so far tried DVD Decrypter with no luck. Is this at all possible? If not, what would you suggest?

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

just a thought......... since you tried DVDDecrypter......did you follow Scubba Pete's instructions on HARD TO RIP DVDs? if not follow his guide:
    http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/petesguide9.html
    try again........ good luck.

3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

are the files just seen in the drive (my computer folder)? copy and paste as many as you can (the .vob are video / audio)

4. mrSimonUK

mrSimonUK Member

Sorry for the late reply / bump.

I had no luck with Scubba Petes guidelines, sorry.. =S

I can copy about half the files. If I copy the others, either explorer will freeze, or DVD decrypter will complain about missing headers, and toward the end just have full on read errors. The damaged VOB's are quite large as they should be, however I just cant play them, or even extract portions. Explorer will freeze, or other programs will complain its just incompatible.

I understand that the disc is damaged and I will not be able to recover most of the data, however I'd like to attempt to recover as much MPEG-2 video as possible. Is this at all possible, or does a missing header mean the entire file will be damaged?

5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

so you can get some vobs?

isobuster can read deeply...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007