1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up DVD9 dvd's

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dwd0219, Mar 2, 2007.

1. dwd0219

dwd0219 Member

I am new to using dual layer format. I got a couple of movies that are in dual layer format for my birthday and want to make backups of these. I see guides to take a dual layer or dvd9 dvd and put it on single dvd5 disc. Doesn't shrinking the dvd down degrade the quality? Are there any guides for taking a dvd9 and backing it up to a blank dvd9? Like the guide I saw several years ago for a backup using dvd shrink and dvd decrypter. Any help or advice is humbly accepted.

Thanks

2. onya

onya Guest

Short answer...yes. There are compromises to shrinking, but the differences between the origial and copy are virtually identical.

Here is a link to an AD members wesite, that's got all the software and guides you'll need, thanks to Alkohol, bbmayo fasfrank and scubapete.

Back up your DVD9's to DVD9's if you wish, but the cost per disk is more expensive. If you end up using shrink as part of your encoding routine, simply change the preferences to DVD9 (must have disk in to change this) and there will be no loss in quality. All the best.

Cheers.

3. dwd0219

dwd0219 Member

Thanks, I will take that into consideration. Thanks for the link too.

4. wgd9891

wgd9891 Member

When backing up a DVD9 to DVD5 disk, either copy only the main movies or if you want the whole disk with menus and extras, lower their quality to the least amount possible. This way the main movie will get better quality results.

5. 2colors

2colors Guest