1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up DVD's, Two questions, Did do reading

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ryunix, Sep 20, 2004.

1. ryunix

ryunix Member

Hello all;

I have been looking into backing up some DVD’s that will be copy protected. I have been reading up for the past 3 hours, and I have but a handful of questions to ask.

So if you would all be so kind…

I have ‘DVD X Copy Platinum’, should I use this or would you suggest using DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter instead?

Also my computer only has a regular 52x c.d. drive and a 40x12x48 c.d. burner, so I obviously need a DVD burner.

I am unsure what DVD burner to get, I have looked a lot in the forums and it seems the NEC, Plextor, and Lite-On are the top 3. But here is the problem and where I could defiantly use a jumpstart.

The drive will need to play the Back up DVD’s on my computer and on a DVD player. Can anyone recommend a burner that is [smile] dummy proof [/smile] and can make backups of copy protected DVD's. I don’t care if it is an extra $50 then a different one, I would rather buy once, or at least as few times as needed.

If you recommend a DVD Burner and it is not to much trouble can you provide a link to it so a dummy like me can go to the computer store with it and be very sure he is getting the same one (I don’t understand all the numbers) could you also tell me the brand of CD’s you use with that burner.

I live in Canada so unfortunately most of the sites like newegg etc don’t ship here.

Thanks
    ryunix

Last edited: Sep 20, 2004
  2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi ryunix, welcome to AfterDawn!!

I have X copy stuff too. I never use it. Still makes me look at the stupid warning and the program trys to call home, even though no one is home anymore. Shrink and Decrypter are a good combination.

A lot of folks have those burners and they all will work. the Plexor always gets rave reviews. I like Pioneer and Sony myself.

The burner has nothing to do with removing encryption. It just burns whatever your particular burning program tells it to burn. The encryption is removed in a previous step during the ripping process.

Most burners can read the discs they burn. My Sony and Pioneer A-07 both do as long as I use good media to begin with.

All the burners I have ever installed and used worked. They all installed pretty much the same way. It is helpful to read the documentation that comes with your burner and install it correctly.

You should be able to do a Google search and find a shop in Canada that has DVD burners. There are lots of Canadians here at AD so maybe one will help out.

Cheers,
    Frank

3. ryunix

ryunix Member

Thank you for the reply fasfrank

I will not bother with the DVD X. As for the burner if they burn and do nothing more, what recommendations would AD give for the following requirements listed in order of important starting at number #1

1. [bold]Quiet[/bold] (while playing DVD’s)
    2. [bold]Speed[/bold] (burning)
    3. [bold]Plays on most DVD Players[/bold] (If this is related to media type, what type?)

I am also going to post this in the DVD Burner section of the forum since this has now taken a turn in that direction.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2004
  4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

My Sony is a lot quieter than my Pioneer, however your PC case has an important part of that. I would think a Plexor would be quiet as well.
    My PC has a total of ten fans so I can't really hear the burner anyhow.
    IMHO speed is not a governing factor as long as 4X burns are possible. There are some 16X burners coming out but I would really think twice about going for one of those at this point.
    I have good luck with Ritek G-04 media as most folks do. The only sure way to tell is try different media. Ritek and Verbatim are tops... And it is a media concern, more so than the burner used to make them.