1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by scuter, Jan 24, 2005.

1. scuter

scuter Guest

Boys. I just ran into a new protection on a DVD I tried to,AH, shall we say, backup. Well. I tried DVDX, DVD decrypter,DVD magic and a couple of other tricks up my sleve. All I got for my trouble was a backed up file with a blank screen! Plus, it removed the exe. file to locate and connect with my DVD R_RW and screwed with a few other things. I guess the SOBs want to play hard ball. That's OK. I have a few more tricks that they can't get around.
    Have you ever heard of a video card in? It's a video 'in'. AVER MEDIA makes one and I have been backing up my vhs movies for months now. You see, that video is 'Anolog' I think thats what they call it. Anyway! If they screwed with it, the damn movie would not play on your TV so they can't mess with the video out on either a VCR or A DVD player. Are you catching on? Your computer will aleady capture the audio and with the Aver MEDIA card and software, just go buy a cheap DVD player and plug it into the other video line in that is provided. And by the way, it also works great with your camcorder line out.
    Granted, your not going to get quiet as good as video as a straight rip that is fine tuned, but it's one ball game your team has the lock on.
    scuter

2. Veblin

Veblin Active member

Maybe, I don't understand the purpose of this post.

You find a hard to copy DVD, and you imagine it is doing strange things to your computer and the only thing you can figure out how to do, is a analog copy?
    I can't wait to see what other knowledge you have to bring to this DVD-R for advanced users forum.

3. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

LOL! Maybe he could tell us what movie it was that he was trying to, AH, backup, as they say? If it is really doing what it says it is doing -- and I kind of doubt it, sounds more like stupid user tricks -- then it would be of interest to advanced users. But without knowing what dvd it is, the post is useless.

At least you made the thread useful in a way. We all need a laugh now and then.

4. scuter

scuter Guest

I'm not going to tell you the movie because I don't know who you are. But I will tell you that when you run into this encryption; You'll know it! And then you'll be dealing with it's results. And by the way, I have been working with movie files for two years.

5. scuter

scuter Guest

P.S. And my problem with my computer that this encryption didn't cause. I had to do a system restore point and work with the PC for over two hours correcting files and ect. Also, have used over nine differant programs to back up my movies, so I may not be a pro on the subject, but my movie backups are not garbbled or distorted, but clear and very good quality. Think what you want! I will tell you it was a Columbia house movie.

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Is this guy for real???

He can't be,, can he? LMFAO!!

Why can you not tell the name of the movie? Is it a big secret?

Im sorry I cant even say nothing here I just wanted to reply so I can continue reading more wisdom from scuter :) LOL

7. RedAnt

RedAnt Regular member

scuter do you want help? I ask this question because I don't think any one here can read minds, well need a bit more info on your System and the name of the movie you are trying to back up.

8. scuter

scuter Guest

OK guys, the Movie is 'THE FORGOTON', and when I tried to back it up using four differant programs on my PC; all I ended up with was a blank screen. No sound, no picture. I tried DVD encrypter, DVDX, DVDmagic and DVD shrink. The only one that I thought was working was DVDX so I let it run all the way through and then tried to view it with Windows Media Player,PowerDVD,and AVI. All showed something there, but nothing that was viewable.
    But the point I was trying to make was this. Any movie can be backed up with a video in card and the program to combine the sound correctly. Granted, it ain't as much fun as trying to solve the puzzle where ripping a DVD is concerned. Hell; we just do it for the challenge anyway! Don't we?

9. scuter

scuter Guest

TO RED ANT, thank you for your offer of help instead of scarcasum.
    To you guys that had a good laugh on my part; well, I'll say this. What little I know about computers is not all that much, as I had to teach my self at a late time in my life. When I graduated from high school, the average person new very little of a PC, the Viet Nam war was on, and Bill Gates was probably in diapers.
    But anyhow, I bought a used PC in 1997, took it home, (all 75 mhz of it and ect.) and started playing with it. I learned by trial and error. I did it because I wanted to learn something new.
    As to why I'm not more schooled with computers and the software that run them, well, that should explain it.
    But I'll ask those of you who obviously consider me and 'IDIOT' because I'm not as smart as you may be. Well, along with being able to build a PC, I have sold my art to Doctors, one city to go behind the mayors desk, I can take a highly damaged auto and restore it so that you would never know, and did so for 34 years, along with teaching structure and frame repaire using Lazer equipment, built and sold several of my own homes while I was doing all this along with rasing two kids. OH! and I forgot, I have played gutiar in my own band and others off and on over the years and survived the sixties and all that bull crap. So you see, I haven't had time to enlarge my brain as the smart *** of the world, and add all your supper knowledge about computers.
    Fellows, ripping a movie is just another 'Rubets Cube', (not sure about the spelling of the mans name); for those of you who are old enough to know what a Rubets Cube is. So, what does it matter? Get away from the PC once in a while and go get serviced; if you understand that.(I mean that in a good way) Don't take your self so seriously, people will like you better and you will too!
    Now you can LMFAO again if you so choose, it's no skin off my nose. (here's where I would place a smiley face it I had that option but I don't, so.....)

10. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

OMG.

It's The Forgotten, not THE FORGOTON

It's DVD Decrypter, not DVD encrypter

It's Rubix Cube, not Rubets Cube

Also, the next time you want to post a biography do it in Safety Valve.

Now back to the movie "The Forgotten", The newest DVD Decrypter can rip that movie. If it still doesn't work try AnyDVD.

BTW ... you didn't hear this from me. I don't do this often (give out advice to strangers)

11. Veblin

Veblin Active member

12. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

dont we have enough threads on The Forgotten (or should i say The Forgoten)as it is. A simple search would have bought up a heap of threads. And the day i start making backups with not "quiet as good as video as a straight rip that is fine tuned" will be the day i stop making them. And its quite, quiet means silence. Also, what .exe communicates with your burner??

13. scuter

scuter Guest

OK1 OK! I'll download the latest version of "Decrypter". I do not type the best, nor do I spell the best as DEADCAT pointed out. But DEADCAT, it's "brought up" , not "Bought up". It looks like you have the same problem typing when your trying to do it fast as I do.
    You guys are a riot!Do they make hats in your size? With all your brain power, your heads must be swelling.
    Just one Missouri hillbilly's thought on the subject. But, Alas! You do keep me entertained, and that's something.
    You boys have a good day.

14. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

hey, scuter, don't worry about it. you don't have to justify yourself to anyone on here. we all have talents and we all have weaknesses. that's what makes the world diverse and fun. better than bleak and boring, no?

p.s.

you're from missouri, too? that's cool. ever been in jefferson county?

15. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

scuter,

Just to be clear about it, age has nothing to do with the reception you received here. I'm an "old foggie" by many accounts, and it would be interesting to see who's the oldest (let's just say I'm almost 60, and leave it at that). I've lived a pretty storied life too. But along the way, I picked up some 'netiquette skills that you seem be lacking. Just don't give us old codgers a bad rep, okay?

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

scuter my man!! :)
    Don't get upset I didn't mean anything by my post I was just having a little fun which is what I'm sure most were doing. Please don't take it so personal it wasen't met that way at all. I am sure there are plenty of people here who have had a rough life, but I don't see what that had to do with anything? Hell I'm sitting in frikin' Iraq right now and not very happy I was supposed to retire from the Army a month ago them bastards! Anyway enough of that. What you are suggesting in your post is a very simple thing to do as most people that hook up there camcorders or the like to there computer all the time. You can copy the Forgotten by ripping it to your hard drive with Decrypter first. Just thought I would let you know that. I will have to say you have made my day as I have really enjoyed reading this post in particular. So you have a good day and don't get so upset at us we are here to help and get help. We are just one big happy family !! :) Of course I haven't seen a family yet that dosen't have its arguments, but they always make up :)

17. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

scuter,

did the newest dvd decrypter work for you?

18. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Opps!! :)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  19. scuter

scuter Guest

Hey guys, anything I have said has been in fun. If it sounded differant, I'm sorry.
    People that know me know that I like to stir things up to keep life interesting. Anything I said was done with a smile on my face and I couldn't wait to read the responses I recieved.
    But hey, I'll make one addmission to all of you. I have used mostly DVDX and converted to mpeg, as my DVD player will read about anything I throw at it and with mpeg, I can get two, maybe three movies on a single layer DVD. (I don't like placing them on CD-r as I hate getting out of my chair to change the damn thig half way through the movie.
    But anyway, I downloaded the latest DVD Decrypter and can anybody tell me what's the best guide as to how to use it properly. Also, I would like to incoporate DVD shrink into the process and start burning to DVD format on a single layer disk. I think your all right about the new version of DVD Decrypyer working best for some of the new backup problems.
    Hey 'Auslander' is that just a user name or you realy downunder? I always wanted to go but life got in the way.
    And 'BBMAYO' for gods sake, take of your self over there. Others and I who remember 'Viet Nam' are a little nervous about what this war is turning into. It's starting to look to damn familiar to my generation. I haven't as of yet form a complete decision as to how I feel about it. I know that a free Irak with it's people making their own decisions at the polls would be a good thing, but the extremist are fighting a guerilla style battle and most of the time you can not tell the good guys from the bad. My advice to you is this; when in doubt, shoot first and let god sort it out.
    PS. I almost forgot Auslander. I've been to jefferson county but it's been back when I was still young and I don't remember much about it. Myself, I was born and raised in SPFG MO.. I went to Central High, one of, if not the first, high schools in the city. The school is and inner city school and it is so big that it's kind of like a college campus.
    I'll tell you guys something that might give you a laugh.
    On the days we had jym class, we dressed out in the building where the basket ball and showers were, behind the main building.(Marble halls and four stories high with a thousand plus students and a block long it's self)
    Anyhow, we had to walk about three blocks down the street to the stadium to do track and all that other stuff. (Our coach like to run us till we puked, kind of like boot camp). Anyhow, one day, the coach was way out in front of the class of about sixty kids on the way down the street.
    Well....there was a brand new Volkswagon parked that belonged to one of the teachers right beside a telephone pole and a street sign. There were about twelve of os clumped together and one of the guys said;'Hey, look! I bet that we could set that damn thing right between those two poles!'
    Well, he was right, and with so many of us picking it up from all points on the car, we did so without any damage. It fit with about four inches between the bumpers and the poles at either end, which made it impossiable to drive it out under any cercumstances.
    That was a good day for jym until we found out that the teacher whom it belonged to was leaving school right after our class time and had just got there right before. Well, you can guess the rest. It didn't take "Magum" the PI to figure out which class was involved in the prank. Since a tow truck could only get it out by dragging it sideways, it was decided by the Dean that our class should get it out the same way it got there. And for punisment; you guessed it, more runing until we puked!
    AH! How I miss the time in my life when everthing could be turned into something fun.
    You guys have a good one!

20. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member