1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up EA PC game using Alcohol 120%

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by skindred8, Nov 8, 2004.

1. skindred8

skindred8 Member

I tried to back up my EA Sports MVP 2004 game for PC using Alcohol 120%. I used A-Ray scanner and it said it was SafeDisk 2.90. When I went to alcohol and went to make an image with SafeDisk 2/3. With skip fast reading errors and fast skip error block checked. The image format is set to Standard ISO Image File. But when I start this error comes up saying "disk read error at: 903" then "disk read error at: 904", etc... (does not go to every number, it skips some too). Some one told me I have to let it go through this but I let it go for a few hours and it was still doing this.

Please tell me what I am doing wrong so I can make my backup.

Thanks

2. pollushon

pollushon Regular member

It is normal for block errors and it can take a while depending on your drive, they usually finish around the 10,000 mark. Using ISO as a format is no good for copy protected games as it cannot hold the copy protected data, making the image invalid. Create the image using Alcohols native MDF/MDS format. Success in making a backup disc is also dependant on your burner, this is a later and tougher version of safedisc, so good luck! :)

3. skindred8

skindred8 Member

Thank you that was the problem, I had to use the MDS format.

Now I have 2 files though, one MDS and one MDF, how do I know which one to burn onto the CD.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2004
  4. pollushon

pollushon Regular member

When you use Alcohols burning wizard,(make sure to use Alcohol to burn) only one image file will come up, the two sort of merge. The MDF is the data file the game itself and copy protection, the MDS is the set of instructions or log file for alcohol to tell it how to burn it correctly. Its like what a .cue file is to a .bin file. Hope it helped :)