1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing Up Episodic Discs

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by LionelS, Apr 17, 2005.

1. LionelS

LionelS Member

I want to start backing up some of my discs of tv shows. I wanted to start with Seinfeld and Gilligan's Island. Both have multipile episodes on a dual layer disc. What is the best way to copy yet retain the same quality or use a little compression if required? If I split the episodes over two discs this would no doubt retain the same quality but probably lose the menu. If I have to lose the menu and some extras this is ok but I do not want too much compression. What are peoples experience/recommendation? Do some programs have problems dealing with episodic discs? I have Nero 6, Shrink, Dvd Decrypter, Dvd x copy. How do most people deal with these?

2. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

hmmmm...

a lot of peeps here would use DVD Rebuilder as it has the best compression apparently...

for me it would depend on the compression needed.

80%+ i would just do the whole disk in dvd shrink

65-80% i would use CloneDVD as it seems to have better compression than dvd shrink...

<65% use dvd rebuilder etc..

OR you can just do a full disk but set episodes 1-3 as still image in shrink and leave 4,5,6 on etc... then repeat but swapping which are left out.

3. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I have backed up a number of TV disks, and go with what babelfish says. I have used DVD Shrink and Decrypter for some, but I like Clone DVD2 because you can keep the menu and your episodes and then get rid of the trash you do not want, all mine have come up good. Got all four seasons of the Sopranos and fifth will be out in June, just finished doing first season of Miami Vice using Clone DVD2 and it also came out okay although the compression was at 75%. If you are really worried about the quality, you can always split to two disks. You can split using Clone DVD2 and retain the menu on both disks. Use guide listed below for this method.

http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/

If you use DVD Shrink and do the whole disk make sure you use deep analysis, also you can use the quality settings (I prefer smooth) it takes about 2 hours but is worth the time.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  4. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Good idea. I like that.
    You are correct about this.

Don't forget DVD Shrink has quality enhancement options. In my opinion, using it makes a backup about the same quality as CloneDVD, it just takes a lot longer to encode the movie.

5. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

i gotta say that the only time i used dvdrb was for return of the king and wasnt impressed at all tho. it actually looked better paused that the shrink version but the frame transitions (or whatever) seems worse...

6. squizzle

squizzle Active member

7. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

i did that, followed the guides to the letter...

i must admit it was only on really close inspection. i was happy with both but when shrink took 1/4 of the time it wasnt really an issue.

inspected on sony 32" flatscreen and sony home cinema

8. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Strange. Most people say they can watch a movie made with CCE/RB on a 50+" TV without noticing any flaws. I guess it just depends on your eyes :) I know I can point out flaws in just about all compression software. This one has the least amount of flaws I've seen, but I've only watched the movies on a 19" monitor and a 27" TV.

Oh well, to each his own.

9. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

For episode DVDs, I use DVDXCopy to keep the quality without compression as well as keep the menu structure. I have an older version, so sometimes it's not perfect.

10. LionelS

LionelS Member

Thanks DogBomb. My experience with DVDX Copy is if you want to split it over two discs to keep the exact quality, it quiet often screws up the order of the episodes on disc 1. Eg it puts episode 1,2,& 6 on disc 1 insteadof 1,2 & 3 which is why I steered away from it for episodic discs. Currently trying Shrink as suggested above. Only wish Nero allowed you to do this as well - maybe a future enhancement.

11. Manu_DVD

Manu_DVD Guest

I have been using DVDFab Platinum with much sucess in spliting disc's and keeping all menu strutures and zero compression in place. It's been great for backing up Star Trek, Married with Children etc.
    The program is updated often and although it ain't free, there is a 21 day unlimited trial. http://www.dvdidle.com/download.htm