1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BACKING UP GAME ON DVD+R!!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by samsamsam, Aug 27, 2003.

1. samsamsam

samsamsam Member

hi. I have a dvd+r/w and a PS2 v4 console.I want to backup my PS2 games but I've heard some people say that older PS2 consoles cannot read the plus format and only read minus dvds. How do I know if my V4 is new enough to play DVD+r format? Can anyone tell me a way to check to see if my PS2 v4 can read it w/o having to waste a dvd on a test? My v4 number is SCPH-30001 if that helps. If anyone has a v4 PS2 with that number and has had success in playing dvd+r format games, please let me know!

thanks!!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2003
  2. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

There are a lot of misconseptions about this topic sam. I'm going to tell you right now - and this WILL be argued - that your PS2 CANNOT tell the difference in media between DVD-R and DVD+R.

The reason is that the + and - refers to how your burner references the data it is burning onto your media. Once that disc is burned you will have hard time finding ANY hardware that can tell what type it actually is - because it simply does not matter.

Generally -R media is less expensive and most people prefer it for that reason - but your PS2 will read any DVD media type (-/+R or -/+RW) as long as you burn it properly, ie. from an image at 1X

BTW media rated 4X is higher quality - not meaning you should burn it at 4X (ALWAYS USE 1X) but it will prolong the life of the laser optic in your console.

As a rule the higher the write speed a disc is rated for, the higher its quality and the easier it will be on your equipment.

Good luck!

3. billz

billz Active member

where brad is coming from i don't know?
    i also have a v4 and mine does play +R's but other v4 do not.you got a 50/50 shot from research i have done.but if you backup dvd movies this should be a fine test just make sure it has a menu because if it doesn't(in my experince)it doesn't work.so give that a try.before you try a game make sure you have some sort of mod... fliptop or no-solder or slidecard with sawp magic disc or a modchip

4. G-4CE

G-4CE Regular member

i also have a v4 mith m2 and +r burner i had to try couple of different brands but got a quality memorex for £2 and it worked first time on a backup of vice city using dvd decrypter and alcohol 120% to burn done it at a low speed to make sure havent done any others yet_X_X_X_X_X_[small]ricoh mp5125a
    v4 ps2
    messiah 2
    alcohol 120%[/small]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2003
  5. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Brad please remove the ad (email) in your signature immediately.