1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up Gamecube memory card.

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by heckel, Nov 9, 2004.

1. heckel

heckel Member

Is there a way to copy the data from your memory card to your pc for backup purposes? I am one of the few who actually play pso and have several hundred hours worth of play time on my memory card. My brother does the same thing. He turned his gamecube on the other day to play pso and it said that his pso files were corrupt and had to be deleted.

I sure don't want this to happen to me. Is there a way to save the data to your computer or something else as a backup and if anything happened to it, restore it to a new card?

I don't use this memory card to do backing or booting if anyone was wondering, but I still don't want to risk losing my data for any other reason.

2. grmbl

grmbl Regular member

first u need the tools to stream:
    -PSO
    -BBA
    -Pc with NIC
    I assume you allready have these...?

If you're actually playing PSO you'll need another memory card to avoid losing your original PSO settings. You can read all details here: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/61273

Then go to my site (see signature below) and download the memory card tool. It's been a while that I've used it but I'll try to explain.
    The zip file contains an executable and a .dol file..
    Start up the command (start/run/cmd) and locate the executable.

[​IMG]

here you see all options available.
    Use PSUL to stream the dol file included in the ctr_gcs folder and give ctr-gcs the command you want to do...

nuff said

respect

Last edited: Nov 13, 2004
  3. heckel

heckel Member

Thanks for the info, I will definetely try this. I'll have to wait until I get my original pso disc replaced, because somehow it got scratched and will not load anymore.

But yes, I do meet the requirements and have been successful loading many .dol files to my gamecube.

Thanks again for the advice, I will give it a shot. I would like to use it just to make a copy of my memory card onto a blank card for backup purposes.

This will work, right? It doesn't have to be restored to the same card does it? Just the same brand and capacity?

4. grmbl

grmbl Regular member

I haven't tested it with other MC other than my original Nintendo 251 MC... But I suppose there will be no probs as long as the MC are of the same type and volume.

grtzzZ

5. heckel

heckel Member

I have another question. What are the chances that just having the memory card in there to read from will corrupt it? I want to make a backup, but I don't want there to be any chance that my card would be corrupted. I'm assuming reading from it only would be fairly harmless, but you never know exactly what the code in these programs do.

6. grmbl

grmbl Regular member

As to be sure (like I allways did) just make a backup of the raw data. Not just the single files.
    It is indeed never safe but I assume there would be no harm unless the connection got closed whilest backing up. Maybe put in 2 MC in your cube and make another backup before streaming one at your PC. Just to be sure. =)

7. heckel

heckel Member

The readme file for that programs says that a raw data backup has to be put back on the same card. Does that mean the same exact card, or an identical one. Maybe none of them are 100% identical, so it doesn't work between different cards?

8. grmbl

grmbl Regular member

As long as it are 2 MC (exg: 2 nintendo 59 blocks MC), and the card is fully empty then it would be no problem i guess...

9. heckel

heckel Member

Thanks for the advice, just waiting for my replacement game to come in and I'm going to give it a shot.

Btw, I heard that you could use the plus version to do this, but read somewhere about it, and it seemed like a huge hassle? Does anyone have any info on this?

10. grmbl

grmbl Regular member

i recommend the original PSO I&II, for the exploit was unknown to nintendo and sega...and they fixed it in the others. There are ways but why make life difficult? =) waiting for your test-results...

grtz

11. johnodd4

johnodd4 Guest

CRAP!!!!!

you don't need all that garbage no streaming is required

go to

www.codejunkies.com

select your country then go into shop you will notice under there gamecube listing they have a memory card with a usb jack on the front of it to download save files into it so you might want to try the easy approach first

then the complex cheap moron streaming way secound
    and this way you don't mess up your gamecube

12. DjRistar

DjRistar Member

Those AR memcards are fine.. but what about those who cannot copy data like Pokemon Colleseum saves?
    I tried to backup the memcard but it wouldn't start. I am using a Pal copy of PSO,Pal NGC, a Jap BBA (like that makes any difference. it worked on with PSUL), a Black (256) Nintendo Memcard and a crossover cable.
    Any more info/help? and is there any updates for the programs?

I am known as Djbrayster anywhere else.. this forum disliked the length of my name.