1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

backing up GTA san andreas

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by ceminess, Feb 6, 2005.

1. ceminess

ceminess Member

Hi, i have been having trouble backing up my GTA SA game, everytime i back it up, it always skips in different places, and freezes sometimes. I am using DVD decrypter, and my burner is a sony DRU-710A, my media im using is Verbatim 16x dvd+r, but i burn it at the lowest speed 6.4x.
    I have the new ps2 slim version using flip top, swap magic v3.3

Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005
  2. LiquidusX

LiquidusX Regular member

it's the speed if that's the slowest then you're screwed. if ya had a liteon you could've used omnipatcher and edited the f/w's write speeds to 2.4x

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005
  3. ceminess

ceminess Member

well the 710a is a rabaged liteon, so i should be able to do that

4. ceminess

ceminess Member

When you read the disc do you have to read it at a slow speed too? also, is 2.4x slow enough?

5. ceminess

ceminess Member

okay i have tried everything that i can think of, i ended up burning with alcohol 120%, because dvd decrypter only lets me burn the slowest at 6.4x, alcohol lets me burn the slowest at 2.4x, no matter what i do the game skips at a different time for each burn. I have tried backing up my copy of MGS3, and it does the same thing, i don't have anyother ps2 games to try to copy from at this moment,
    can anyone help me?

6. ceminess

ceminess Member

can anybody help me?

7. pazza1

pazza1 Guest

hi i was having problems with san andreas and it turned out to be the media if you get some 4x dvd+r then you should be able to back it up at lower speeds than 6.4x try using maxell 4speed they come in a gold box in boxes of five i got them from pcworld uk for £4 on special offer and they turned out to be made by taiyo yuden which is the best make in the world when i checked it with dvd identifier. verbatim are the 2nd best make so should be fine but 16x is far too high so get some 4x it could be your ps2 laser if all the games you backup have the same skipping

8. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Definitely burn speed is your problem. Even burning at 2.4x can prove to be a problem for you. That's why I won't buy a new burner, they are all higher speeds and a lot of them won't burn at 1x.

9. ceminess

ceminess Member

well i have an old tdk dvd burner that i got when dvd burners first came out, i'll try that and see how it turns out.

10. imodhalo

imodhalo Member

Speed does not matter.I burned san andreas at 8x with my toshiba drive and it works really good.I use taiyo yuden discs.

11. squizzle

squizzle Active member

bullsh*t imodhalo. If you burn games at 8x and they work fine, you're lucky. 98% of the rest of us can't burn anywhere near that fast. I've run into skips in cut-scenes when burning at 2x, so I keep it at 1x and everything's fine. These problems are more frequent towards the end of the disc too, and GTASA takes up the whole disc.

12. imodhalo

imodhalo Member

lol.. well im having problems with ghost recon 2 burning at 1x so i dont know.It always goes back to the ps2 disc loading screen after i use swap disc.Does anyone know why?And one more thing.I cant rebuild an iso because i get an error every time.is there any other way or a site with fixes?I know im posting about something else in someones post but someone help me.

13. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Yeah I think there are other threads about Ghost Recon 2 but I'm having a problem with Shellshock Nam 67 and what I read about rebuilding it didn't work for me so I'm going to try again.

14. imodhalo

imodhalo Member

Hmm maybe sony put some protection or soemthing on newer games.Ive burned 7 taiyo yuden coasters :(.

15. smackfrog

smackfrog Member

I backed up my San Andreas using ritek ridata dvd+r 4x discs buring at 2x speed and it works, except there are occasional slow load times.

16. ceminess

ceminess Member

well i finally got GTA SA to work, i installed my old TDK440N dvd burner, and burned it at 2x, after that i used swap magic dvd v3.3, and dvdloader v7, and used Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance for my TOC refresh, cause thats my biggist game, and everything worked perfectly, i am now burning MGS3 and hopefully that will work too.

17. pazza1

pazza1 Guest

yeah ridatas do make bad loading times but game play is ok

18. ceminess

ceminess Member

i just burned and played part of MGS3 it was perfect, thanks for the help guys.

19. imodhalo

imodhalo Member

I just burned tony hawk 2 on max burn and it took 9 minutes.It works perfect in my ps2.So I dont get why it wont work with other ps2 systems burnign at max spped.

20. sleepwalk

sleepwalk Guest

HI I HAVE DVD DECTYPTER AND I WAS TRYING TO COPY ANY GAME BUT THERE IS NO ROOM ON HARD DRIVE. CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO MAKE IT FIT