1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up HDD from Pioneer DVR-630H

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by shockerty, Dec 24, 2013.

1. shockerty

shockerty Newbie

I am not sure where this post should reside so sorry if I got it wrong!

I have been trying to backup videos saved on a Pioneer DVR-630H DVD & HDD recorder. First of all I looked at backing up onto DVD from the HDD, but this is a long winded nightmare due to the clunky UI and the sheer amount of videos on the HDD.

My next brain wave was to open up the recorder and get the HDD connected to a PC, dump the raw data, then hopefully extract/convert the videos into a usable format. The HDD is a Seagate IDE, so I used an IDE to USB interface. The drive does not appear in My Computer, and it appears in Disk Manager with a blank volume label and the file system is blank. It is listed as online and healthy, and it shows the correct capacity, and also the correct model number in Properties.

Can anybody advise as to how I can copy from the HDD? I know it might not be a compatible file system, but surely there is some kind of workaround?... I hope.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Without ever doing what you've done,that is remove an hdd from a dvd player to use on a pc,you would need first to assign a drive letter to be able to access any data assuming the hdd is not locked or the data encrypted,so go back to disc management & assign a letter

if for some reason windows explorer doesn't show data after assigning a drive letter but shows disc space in use i'd switch to using linux at this point to see if linux can see any data

you can create a disc image by using something like easeus todo backup (free version) however if explorer can't see data it would require a sector by sector backup of the dvd player hdd using easeus,this image can be used to work on so you don't bork the hdd & loose everything by mistake,mind you if you created a sector by sector backup you can place it back on the hdd to fix any stuff ups

edit:don't forget to search web for others that have already done it & not necessarily your model or even make you may find a work around there somewhere

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  3. shockerty

shockerty Newbie

I tried to assign a drive lettet but everything was grayed out except Convert to Dynamic Disk and Remove. Unfortunately this DVD player is at my parents house and I am going home today so won't have much chance to play around.

Might have to try persuading my girlfriend to let me sort out a Linux dual boot on her laptop to have a go. Could it be possible to use a raspberry pi with another external HDD attached to dump stuff on? Not ideal I'm sure. Would be a lot easier if the HDD in question wasnt so far away!

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

5. shockerty

shockerty Newbie

Ah thanks for the heads up. I will have to try that next time I'm up there. Might be a while but I will report my findings!