1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up HL2 with Alcohol 120%

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by ERA2000, Nov 21, 2004.

1. ERA2000

ERA2000 Regular member

I am trying to make a backup of disc 1 of the game so I can keep the copy in my drive instead of the original.
    I used A-Ray Scanner to find the type of protection on disc and Alcohol 120%(version 1.9.2) to make the Image and then burn.
    Discs burnt fine with both Securom *NEW and Securom (4.x/5.x)settings and seems to work at first with installation window popping up when booted. But when I go to start with STEAM (because you have to play this game online at all times) I get a message: unable to authenticate original disc within time limit.
    Any ideas?
    Is there any other software that might do the job?
    Thanks
    ERA2000

2. ERA2000

ERA2000 Regular member

Well this problem was solved with some great help from
    Bulk and Kirk Out from www.makeabackup.com
    :]

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

It would help others if you posted what you did that worked ;)

4. ERA2000

ERA2000 Regular member

Ok Nephilim here goes:
    You will need Alcohol 120%, Blindwrite5+Tweaker and BWA Builder by VSO from their site and also the A-ray Scanner.
    I started off with making the .bwa file.I put the original HL2 cd disc1 in my drive and opened up Blindwrite Tweaker set MAX read speed to 4X and clicked run Blindwrite. I then opened the BWA Builder. Selected the drive the HL2 CD was in and clicked start.
    Once finished, you should be looking at a nice smooth curve with no sharp peaks.After that you need to save the BWA file.Click file and save. I named it HL2_1.bwa and put it in C:\temp folder.

Then I made a .ccd of my ORIGINAL HL2 disk 1 using Alcohol 120% and put it in the same C:\temp folder. I used the SecuROM *NEW (not SecuROM 4.X/5.X) setting on max read speed and from Image format selected CloneCD Image file(*.ccd)and start.

Next opened A-Ray scanner, press options to open TwinCreator.
    When it opens up, I left the Twin Sector Step at it's default 15, then clicked Select Support Image and located the .ccd file I made in C:\temp folder, then clicked Select Media-Description and located the .bwa file in C:\temp folder as well)and then clicked Start. When it was done, it made 3 new files: patched.ccd, patched.img, and patched.sub (which was located in the same C:\temp folder as the .bwa).

I manually deleted all other files except these 3: patched.sub,patched.ccd and patched.img
    Then I opened Alcohol 120% and clicked Image Burning Wizard, selected the patched.ccd file that was made and clicked next. I used the same SecuROM *NEW setting and put the write speed at 8X (I wouldn't go any faster than that), then clicked Start. A window popped up and I made sure that "Keep TOC as on source cd, write until end of image file (recommended)" was selected as it should be by default, then I clicked OK.
    And after about 5-10 minutes I had my backup.
    Good Luck
    ERA2000

5. Nephilim

Thank you very much :)

6. kyp1

kyp1 Guest

hello guys. ERA2000 i tried your method on backing up the HL2 disk but i get a message that says unable to authenicate or something like that. Could you give me the setting i use in each one of the programs becaseu i am not sure if it is me or my setting.
    again thank you.

Kyp1

7. dwnsouth

dwnsouth Member

Is there a way to copy PS2 games and play without a mod chip? If not, what are the best chips, and where can i get them?

Thanks

8. Nephilim

@ dwnsouth

We do have a PS2 forum where you'll get the proper answers for your question. This particular forum is for PC related games.

9. freeway43

freeway43 Member

How about the DVD ver of HL2? Anybody?

10. Firefox_1

Firefox_1 Guest

I also tried those instructions, didn't work. Still gives me the could not authenticate the original disc within the time limit, damn.

11. dishacker

dishacker Member

12. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

dishacker,

I believe this is the second time now. Read the thread. They are talking about Half Life 2 (HL2) ... NOT HALO 2.

13. freeway43

freeway43 Member

Yes, thanks Flip. HL2 = Half Life 2.