1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up movies x Media

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Tutuca, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Tutuca

Tutuca Member

Hi guys,

Maybe one of you can help me with this...

I've been backing up my movies and trying different DVD brands. Finally I found that Ritek Excellent, 4x, is the best for me. My writer is a LiteOn 4x and I use Elby Clone DVD 2 and AnyDVD, both latest versions. So far, I had relative success with a few "coasters" around the house, of course (who hasn't?).

Unfortunately my player, a Maestro DVX-1201, mainly designed for DivX, is not the ideal player for DVD-+R although it can read it sometimes. Now the question:

With DVDShrink one can set the output size (someone recomended to set it down to 4300 Mb) so the writer would not atempt to write through the outer edges and doing so, the DVD would be unusable (again, depending on the brand and/or the player). Elby CloneDVD and other programs like Intervideo DVD Copy and so on, does not give us this option.

Does anyone knows how to solve this? Unfortunately I did not have much success with DVDShrink that also, takes double the time then Clone DVD to burn a DVD.

In a near future we all will be able to use dual-layer and no need for compression but until then...

Thanks in advance!

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

With CloneDVD 2 there should be a small drop down menu to the left of the quality bar at the bottom of the window. It should be set to "DVD-5" by default but if you choose "Custom" there will be a new option to set the target file size :)

3. Tutuca

Tutuca Member

Thanks Nephilin,

I'll check tonight. If you are right, I must be getting old and in need of new glasses...

Cheers!

4. Tutuca

Tutuca Member

Thanks again Nephilin,

The bloody thing is there and I could not see it... Now, another question: have you had this sort of problems, I mean, the DVD would not be recognized by the player? Have you played with that setting adjusting the size to be burnt? If so, what's the best value?

Cheers mate!

5. Nephilim

If it was a snake it would've bit you! I also have a problem finding things that are right in front of me :p

Like many folks around here I normally set my target file size to 4,300MB.

Now as far as players, they can be a very picky lot. I'll give you a link to a great resource where you can look up your player and see what other people are using and what results they've had :)

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

6. Tutuca

Tutuca Member

Thanks again for your help Nephilim! I'll follow that link up.

Cheers mate!

7. Nephilim

Anytime :)