1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing Up My pc game

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by timmymo, Dec 10, 2004.

1. timmymo

timmymo Member

I am trying to backup my copy of Halo pc. This is an authentic cd that i have. I purchased it earlier this year. A few of my games are on the fritz. So before this game is gone for good i need a working backup copy. Ive tried nero and roxio but I know there is a better program out there for this type of backup.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

3. timmymo

timmymo Member

Thanks for the info. I downloaded blind write. but i didnt change the settings. I did it before i read the posting. So now i have 2 coasters. Besides that I need to know if halo is securom or a safe disc. Thanks alot man u are saving me a great deal of time and effort. Thanks Man

4. timmymo

timmymo Member

Oh and sorry i forgot to tell u my specs. I am doing this with an Nec DVD+RW. My other drive is a TDK 24/10/40. I dont know what model they are, but if you need that info I will take out my drives and find out. Does it matter what kind of discs i use. I am currently using memorex. Thanks Again.

5. Nephilim

Hi,

I'm just about to leave for errands and am way too short on time for a proper response but by this evening I'll have one for you complete with the links you need. :)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  6. Nephilim

Alrighty.

The first tool you should have for identifying protections is A-Ray Scanner. A-Ray's site has been down for a while but I've uploaded it here:

http://nephilim.ccsau.info/A-Ray2_Setup.exe

Another handy tool that allows you to fine tune BlindWrite's settings is BlindWrite5 Tweaker. I've uploaded it here:

http://nephilim.ccsau.info/BW5Tweaker.exe

Your NEC DVD-RW isn't going to be able to make working backups (ones that don't require emulation) of protected PC games because it doesn't have the necessary writing capabilities to do so. Your TDK may be able to do it but we need to know the exact model. A-Ray Scanner should list the drive model in the drop down at the top where you choose the drive you want to read the disc in. You may also want to double check with Nero Info Tool found here:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/nero_info_tool.cfm

As for media, the good stuff such as Ritek, Taiyo Yuden, Maxell or Verbatim is always best but I've used some pretty crappy stuff with good results since the write speeds are a very slow 4X.

Once you get back with us on what model your TDK is we can start figuring out some settings. Halo should be easy since (if my questionable memory serves) it uses an older version of SafeDisc :)

7. timmymo

timmymo Member

tdk cdrw241040B is the exact model of my cd rw drive thanks for all the help man

8. timmymo

timmymo Member

I tried backing up my halo, but i guess my TDK wont even do it. So I have 1 more option I was just wondering if an IDE CDR-Rw 4x8x24 would work. It is very old. It is the burner that came with my old gateway. From 2000, yeah its very old. If you could tell me I wont have to make another coaster.

9. Nephilim

I don't see your TDK on any of the EFM-capable lists and I wouldn't hold much hope for a drive as old as your other one.

One option I might suggest is to pick up a new EFM capable drive such as the Lite-On 52327S or the Asus 5232AS both of which are very good at backing up games and go for around $30 - a very good deal.

You might also be able to mount the image on your hard drive with Daemon Tools and play from the HD without needing the disc. Here's a link to Daemon Tools' home page:

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/portal.php

10. bsmall

bsmall Member

I have read all that has been posted, and done all that you have spoken of, but still my pc says, put original disc in. A-Ray Scanner says it has
    secROM 5.03.03.0040
    my burner is Pioneer 106 and my reader is the one that comes with mt T23 laptop
    The pc game I am trying to make a backup copy of is Hitman Contract. One of the main problems is that the reader is not able to read the disc in time in some coaster trials. Blindwrite and Blindwtrite tweaker were used. I have also used Clone CD and removed the Clone Virtual drive, and burnt it Protected game and CD Game mode

11. Nephilim

The Pioneer 106 isn't EFM capable so short of buying an EFM capable burner your best option is to run the image off your hard drive with Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120%'s virtual drive.

12. bsmall

bsmall Member

Thanks for you help, that saves me pulling my hair out.
    I was thinking of getting the latest pioneer, 107 would that have EFM, if not could suggest a burner that does?.

13. bsmall

bsmall Member

Also could you explain to me just what EFM is and how it fits in with what I am trying to do?

14. Nephilim

EFM, or Eight-Fourteen Modulation, is a writing capability that is needed to correctly reproduce the protections found on PC games. The only DVD burners that can reliably make working copies of PC games are the Plextor PX-708A or 712A and the Lite-On 4xx or 8xx series.

To give you a better understanding of what I'm talking about I'll explain a couple things. Unlike burning DVDs where the protection is stripped out, burning protected PC games involves having to read the protection then write it back to the disc - both of which need to be done very accurately. Not all burners are able to write the protections accurately enough to make a working copy......

When you try to run a protected game it needs to perform a "handshake" of sorts between the disc and the game on your hard drive to verify that the disc is legitimate. If the protection is written back to the disc accurately enough it'll pass the handshake and you have what's known as a "working" copy – one that doesn't need emulation to run. If the copy is less than perfect the handshake will fail because the copy protection will detect that there's something fishy with the copy. In that case you can use emulation tools which basically help the disc pass the handshake process.

15. bsmall

bsmall Member

Many Many Thanks, you have been so helpful

16. Nephilim

[​IMG]

My pleasure :)

17. bsmall

bsmall Member

I have been looking at the lite-on website but cannot determine what is the 4xx or 8xx series. Would it be possible to give me a model number or two, as I would like to try and chase one up today?

18. Nephilim

I guess I haven't kept up on Lite-Ons offerings. I checked a few of my favorite websites and all I can find are the 16xx series so apparently the 4xx and 8xx series are no longer being made. I don't know if the new ones are EFM capable so I hate to recommend them for backing up games. The 2-sheep burner lists that I know of haven't been updated in quite a while

I do see the Plextor PX-712A is still available and at a very good price. Plextor's really are very fine burners and the only ones I'll buy. I've used my 708A to make working copies of the latest SafeDisc and SecuROM protections so I can personally vouch for it's capabilities and the 712 performs just as well.

19. bsmall

bsmall Member

Many Thanks, I'll do the big ring around.

20. timmymo

timmymo Member

I just got a new drd+- r rw and I need to know if its efm capable. It is a lite on (sohw-8325), if you can find out about this drive please help me.