1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BACKING UP PC GAMES.

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by OKIE, Nov 22, 2004.

1. OKIE

OKIE Regular member

CAN SOME PLEASE GIVE ME A HAND ON THIS ONE IVE TRIED DVD ENCRIPTER/NERO.AND XCOPY STILLA BURNT COPY WONT OPEN UP. THANKS.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

No more posting in all caps as per forum rules. It's considered yelling ;)

Any particular reason you're using DVD copying software for PC games? What game is it?

3. OKIE

OKIE Regular member

hi nephilim sorry about the yelling the dvd software you asked about is the only burning software i have the game i want to back up is conflict vietnam.

4. Nephilim

No worries :)

Assuming you have the DVD version, the game is protected by SecuROM 5.03.06.0045 which means you're probably going to have your best chance at backing it up using BlindWrite5. I'd use the default settings to begin with :)

What make/model burner are you using? There aren't many DVD burners that have proven to reliably back up protected PC games.

5. OKIE

OKIE Regular member

yes nephilim iam using sony-dru-700a .and its not just the one game iwant to back up theres more but i just dont know the proceder'were to start thanks.

6. Nephilim

I'd definitely recommend BlindWrite5 for a SecuROM protected DVD game. The Sony DRU-700A isn't the best drive for backing up PC games so if your copies aren't working right that'd be my first guess as the culprit.

Here's a link to a thread that you may find quite useful for getting started:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/117498

If you have any more questions feel free to post back here :)

7. OKIE

OKIE Regular member

thanks nephilim for inro.on blindwrite5 it worked great.i read in the form about you saying somthing about the plexter px-707a supporting efm.what is that?my next move is to upgrade my dvd rom drive my other question is whats the best one for backing up games movies ect.thanks okie

8. Nephilim

The Plextor series DVD burners are EFM capable which means they are able to accurately write the protection back to disc. This is a necessary quality in order to make working copies.

As for which DVD burner is best for movies and games there's no doubt in my mind that the Plextor 708A, 712A (and hopefully the new Dual Layer 716A) are the best choices. I've used my PX-708A to back up hundreds of movies as well as well as the latest versions of both SafeDisc and SecROM PC protections with wonderful results.

The Lite-On 4xx and 8xx series are also supposed to be able to back up PC games but I haven't used one personally.

If you need a new DVD-ROM then my absolute highest recommendations go to the Lite-On 166S or 167T. It doesn't get any better than those two - they're fast, accurate and very inexpensive :)

9. Junito

Junito Guest

HI Okie don't know if I missed you, but anyway straight to the subject. Don't know if this helps you, but I've been successful in backing my pc games using alcohol 120. I backed one of the most difficult dvd games, Sims 2. Create an image file and the burn it. Make sure to use a low speed when burning.

10. OKIE

OKIE Regular member

thanks for the input iam gonna try that to see how far i get thanks again okie

11. dontbugme

dontbugme Member

i dont think i am seeing it. i would just like to know if i can Burn the Sims 2 dvd to cdr's, and if so, how?. thank you for your help.