1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing Up PS2 Help

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by ChiPhiZD, Feb 8, 2005.

1. ChiPhiZD

ChiPhiZD Member

Hello all,

I have been on these forums for a while now, mostly on the DVD back up forums...and my kids got a PS2 for Christmas, and they have already scratched two of the $50 games. I have a DVD burner and the new slim PS2 with the flip top...from what I understand that is a good thing...I am able to play DVD-r backups on the PS2. But when I made a backup of one of the games it did not play, I was just brought to the Browser section of the PS2, I am pretty good with computers and the like, but I have no idea of what to do from here...SwapDisk???? ModChip???? Is there other options, and if you do use one or the other, does it put a strain on the PS2 laser.

I have searched and searched and get partial answers but I am not too sure what my options are with the new slim PS2...any help would be greatly appreciated...because I want the kids to play the backups and keep the originals in a safe spot.

Thanks again!

2. philipman

philipman Regular member

get the replacement filptop for the ps2 and swap magic 3.3. you will need to back up the games with 120%, nero, ect. you could get a modchip for it but I have heard that it hurts the laser, but i think there is another chip that is a laser fix or something like that. I would just get the replacement flip top from any modchip site.

3. ChiPhiZD

ChiPhiZD Member

Thanks Philipman
    Replacement fliptop??? What exactly is that, I have heard of swapdisk and have an idea of how to order it. I am guessing that you totally replace the fliptop and is that a difficult thing to do, and where can reliable ones be bought?

Thanks again

4. philipman

philipman Regular member

5. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  6. ChiPhiZD

ChiPhiZD Member

OK i think i am getting it...still seems a little greek to me so what in your opinions are better

magic switch,ghostswitch,slidetool,replacement fliptop--what is a better way to do it.

7. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

the other methods are a little tricker when swapping
    from swap magic to your backups.
    (this will have to be done every time you load a backup).

All the tools work,Just the flip-top makes the process easier expecially for younger hands.

8. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

i think you mean slimtool, not slidetool, for the slim Pstwo. If you don't mind voiding the warranty sticker go with a fliptop. Easy to apply, basically makes the swap process nothing more than putting in any original.

I'm not an expert on the ghost/magic switches, but i've heard some complaints about them, and not being able to close your fliptop while using them.

I myself used the original fix, the tape mod. You can do it without voiding your warranty, it takes minutes to apply, and it's free. (assuming you own some duct tape)
    This method sounds cheesy, but it works as good as any other. I applied it in November, and have used it ever since, with no problems.

9. ChiPhiZD

ChiPhiZD Member

Ok I think i got it:

1. Purchase a replacement fliptop
    2. Purchase Swap Magic v3.3
    3. Install the fliptop replacement
    4. Use DVDecrypter to read the PS2 game to the HDD via ISO Read mode.
    5. Use DVDecrypter to write the image to DVD-r via ISO Write mode
    6. Put in the Swap Magic disk
    7. Put in the backup PS2 game.
    8. All done????

How does that sound?

10. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

you want to use +r media.
    expecially with the new "slim" ps2.
    AND DO NOT BURN MORE THAN 2x.
    Anthing faster and you WILL run into problems.

other than that yea you got it.

11. phuc

phuc Guest

I dont like JIZMAk

12. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

Yeah, I agree with all of them. Fliptop with Swap Magic is the preferred method as of now for the Slimline PS2s and backups.

However, there is news that the slimtool might work better for those purposes. As well as the tissue/straw method. In fact, the only one I've heard about problems with is the tape/glue method.

If you intend to use swap magic and any of the aforementioned tools, you'll need Swap Magic 3.3 (the newest one) as that's the only one that'll work with the slimlines.

We've been trying to take all the slimline related discussion and info into one thread.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1/148012

That thread will probably explain everything you need to know, if not, then ask, and it WILL get explained.

13. hursty

hursty Active member

where did that come from phuc!
    what has that got to do with this thread?