1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up scratched originals.

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by x2Dragon, Jan 14, 2007.

1. x2Dragon

x2Dragon Member

The other day I burnt a copy of one of my favorite DVD’s, Train Spotting. The original was badly scratched and had begun to freeze at different points in the movie. However after burning a copy I was pleasantly surprised to find that the back-up played perfectly all the way through.

I was curious whether or not this translates to back-ups of Xbox 360 games. If back-ups are created of scratched originals, will those imperfections be passed on to copies. Obviously I don’t mean the physical marks but malfunctions caused by scratches to the disk.

Is there a program that is particular good for creating backups of older, scratched media? I remember reading a forum post (can’t recall who or where) saying that if originals are scratched, Apache is a good program, though I can’t remember what console that was related to.

I’d like to hear about peoples experiences copying some of the more ‘worse for ware’ disks in their collection and any tips or tricks for restoring damaged games.

Cheers, S.B.

2. motomods

motomods Regular member

no.. the scratches cannot be overlooked. the drive cannot read the disc if it has scratches, therefore there is no way that you backed up a non working movie and had it work.. if your dvd player couldnt read the disc there is no way that you made a copy that it could read.. get the gameDR. it is like 25 bucks and it fixes all scratched

3. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

this isn't necessarily true

if you have a bad/scratched disc that your backing up and it can be ripped/encoded by your PC drive then your backup will be fine. you will get an "Read Error" if the drive can't read the DVD

4. x2Dragon

x2Dragon Member

Thanks for the advice P1,

Motomods, clearly the only assumption to be drawn from your comment:

"there is no way that you backed up a non working movie and had it work"

is that i was lying. Seems like a strange thing to suggest that I have nothing better to do than write to this forum with fabricated tails of scratched DVD's.........

thanks anyway.

5. jazzyb3

jazzyb3 Member

I have found this many a time. DVD players and ps2 lasers are a lot more fussy about reading discs that have surface scratches than a pc dvd drive. If a dvd wont play its often worth trying to read it on the pc instead.
    Iso buster is designed to recover discs that contain errors and I have used it to recover data discs that wouldnt run correctly in the pc drive.

6. Grej

Grej Guest

My GRAW Disc was trashed when my xbox crashed,
    I got the BIG scratch polished out, it cost me £3
    Looks like new now

7. navsav

navsav Regular member

8. motomods

motomods Regular member

lol.. yea i am sorry.. i just didnt know that it was possible seeing as how i have tried a couple times, but i guess my discs were just more badly damaged than yours.. i appologize.. i didnt mean any harm, I was just trying to say I didnt think it is possible for you to make a workign backup of a non workign disc..

9. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

its cool motomods were all here to learn

10. croy00

croy00 Member

Also that's totally not true. Have you ever played a dvd in a shite dvd player have it not work than put it in your 360 and have it work just fine. 3 words more powerful laser. I have an expensive burner and have burned movies that look and play like diarhea. (not literally) and found the backups to be fine so before you write of your disk give it a try.

11. schweet

schweet Guest

Whenever I rent a dvd from Blockbuster most of the time it's in real crappy condition so I usually make a temporary copy on to a blank dvd to eliminate playback errors.

Not fun when you watch a dvd and it skips and freezes usually at the most critical parts of the movie.

12. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

schweet

YOU CAN'T POST YOUR BACKING UP RENTED DVDS MAN!!!

EDIT THE POST this is the third time today i have seen this damn