1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up Sopranos season 1

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by Trialsin, May 14, 2003.

1. Trialsin

Trialsin Member

What is the best way to backup copies of the sopranos season 1 DVD's. There is almost nothing extra on these discs to edit out and I dont want to split them in to two discs each. If I simply compress the 7G disc down to 4.5 will the quality be sacrificed?? I'm a newbie and need some advice.

2. jowook

jowook Member

Use DVD2ONE! I've backed up more thant 20 DVD-video. I didn't see any difference.

3. Trialsin

Trialsin Member

The problem is that when you use DVD2ONE it only lets you choose one video file to process. The sopranos discs have no other crap on them so when you get to the first editing window in DVD2ONE, you can only choose one of the four video files. I want to compress the whole 7G down to 4.5 since there is nothing I can remove. My question should have read what is the best software to simply compress a DVD-9 down to DVD-R, and secondly will the compression be noticable on a 32" TV. Any info. will be much appreciated.

4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

No , DVD2One v.1.1.1 or above allows you to do a FULL-DISK back up.
    Hence episode discs ... done !

Please know what your talking about before saying it [bold]Trialsin [/bold]

: )-

5. herbsman

6. Trialsin

Trialsin Member

Thanks herbsman, obviously I don't have version 1.1.1 or higher...otherwise I would have ssen the window that lets you choose full disc backup. Instead of scolding me for not knowing there is a newer version, you could have just told me about the newer version and its newr features. I stated in my post that I was a newbie and needed some advice. What I said holds true for my version, no? Your post should have said "don't say anything unless you know everything there is to know about the topic" because thats how you come across.

7. Trialsin

Trialsin Member

....sorry to double post but my main question is still not answered. If I do a full-disc backup of a 7.5G DVD (compress it down to 4.5) will the quality be noticably diminished?

8. herbsman

No , your right you hadn't mentioned what version of DVD2One ...

What not try DVD Shrink. I'd imagine you'd have some noticibally diminshed picture after doing a whole 7+Gb though if there's hardly any extras

I've had very encouraging results from DVD2One (later than 1.02 : )
    It compresses the extras more so they are really crap but I haven't got round to using DVD Shrink.

But the thing is to make up your mind as everyone has their own opinions. You may disagree with them but you'll not know until you try mate.

(Back up done with DVD2One v.1.1.1 was Blackadder Goes Forth - 6.8Gb originally & top quality after it had been compressed)

Last edited: May 15, 2003
  9. Trialsin

Trialsin Member

Thanks for the imput...looks like I'll purchase DVD2ONE V.1.1.3. Seems like the best way to go right now. I have DVD shrink as well but it seems to make the picture quite pixelated once compressed.