1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up The Incredibles

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by xsog, Jan 4, 2005.

1. xsog

xsog Guest

Am trying to backup a copy of The Incredibles however it will not even register as being in the machine. Will play on external stand alone DVD players. I use a sony dru-510 ak for backups and decrypter or dvd shrink with Nero. Cannot open the disc as it will not indicate a disc being in the drive. Any suggestions?

2. brobear

brobear Guest

Does this happen with only this particular disc or also with others? Will the movie open using a player program on the PC? An easy check is to see if the disc will play in another PC.

3. xsog

xsog Guest

So far just this disc. The disc will not play with any of the player programs. I took it to a retailer to see if they could help. It worked on their computer. I've upgraded the firmware for the sony burner to no avail. As i've said I have backed up dozens of DVD's however I've hit a brick wall with this one. Also tried changing region on the burner from 4 to 1 as that is where the disc cover says its from. The burner wouldn't allow me to carry this function out. Further the disc is a dvd9 dual layer.

4. brobear

brobear Guest

Now we're getting some more info. If you are in region 4 and trying to play a region 1 disc without the proper software, that is a situation you need to resolve. DVD Region Free or AnyDVD will take care of the region problem. AnyDVD is my personal choice. Download the trial from Slysoft.com and let it run in the background at startup. You shouldn't have any problems with region settings or encryption with AnyDVD running. Read the product description on the Slysoft site so you will have a good understanding of how AnyDVD works. Hopefully the region setting is your only problem. You shouldn't ever have to be changing settings on drives to read media from another region. After a few changes, the drive will become locked.

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Your problem may be the disc. Since that movie hasn't been released on DVD yet, to my knowledge, it would have to have been DL'd off the net and then converted and burned to DVD. So, the problem may be in the source disc itself..

6. xsog

xsog Guest

Thanks brobear will give that a go and let you know.

7. Delboy20

Delboy20 Member

The DVD9 you are talking about is actually not a dual layer DVD, don't ask why they put that on the sleeve, it's just really a mark of quality. My friend just brought back a whole load of DVD9 DVDs and not a single one of them is a dual layer media. I had the exact same problem as you with regards to The Incredibles. I originally thought the DVD didn't work, it wouldn't play in my built in drive in my laptop or my external drive. However when i ran it through a duplicator it produced a backup that did work in my computer as well as standalone players. The only way to get it to work is this way, all other drives just can't read the disc in my experience. Let me know how you get on, or if you want to purchase a "back up" if you still can't get it to work.

8. planethun

planethun Member

what kind of dvd duplicator are you using?
    i have a pioneer 16x dvd rw and i am using dvd xcopy and clone dvd with anydvd.
    where can i get a backup of the incredibles?
    thanks

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Delboy20,

The mods will ban you for talking about selling illegal "backups" in the forum. Just a friendly tip :>)

10. brobear

brobear Guest

Surprised they already haven't.

11. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

@ Delboy20

If I ever see you offering pirated material again you're history. Am I clear?

12. Delboy20

Delboy20 Member

(Yeah sorry about that, can you moderate my post to remove that last bit and this bit too). It's just a 1:1 acard thing with an NEC drive in, i'm not sure what the reader is, maybe its just a good drive that can read it, although it did make a funny noise at the start. It kind of sounded like the drive was having problems reading the disc but then it worked fine. Maybe the booktype is different or something although i doubt it because it worked even on a dvd-r when burnt. Some DVD9s wouldn't work in a laptop drive and even after running it though the duplicator still returned coasters so there doesn't seem to be a coverall cure for slightly duff discs you've bought abroad.

13. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You can remove it by using the edit button - it's the little piece of paper and pencil at the top right of your posts ;)