1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up to double-layer disc

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by krunchy, Jun 14, 2007.

1. krunchy

krunchy Member

Ok, been happy for years. PC computer. Backing up my DVDs using the variety of programs such as DVDShrink or Decrypter.
    Used Nero to burn + a Plextor 708A.
    Only complaint was even stripping down to basic movie still led to compression and notable glitching when trying to watch movie.

So swapped up to a Plextor 760A-Dual Layer Drive.
    I figure if I rip movie, can burn it to dual layer 8.5 GB DVD+R DL disc and don't have to compress. Worked on installation, and upgraded to latest firmware-1.05.

Friend gave me some blank Memorex Double Layer DVD+R DL (double capacity single sided) discs (8.5 GB). They burn at 2.4X. Tried to burn, and movies won't play.

Is it the media? Is my initial plan to burn on bigger discs without compression flawed?

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Lots of people who get problems with cheaper DL disks, Tuffdisk, Panasonic, Maxell Memorex etc, find that they get good results with Verbatim disks.

Lots of burners that can't burn the cheaper disks are Ok with the Verbs. Buy one and try it out.

3. krunchy

krunchy Member

Indochine,
    I took your advice. Bought some DVD+R DL 6X from Verbatim. They burned great. Then I tried to play them on 3 different DVD players. Nothing. They can't read them. I thought I made coasters, but then tried them on my computer and it plays fine.

All I want to do is back up a movie without compression on a single DVD and have it play on a DVD player.

Advice?

-Krunchy

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

If they play on your computer, then the burn was good. The set top DVD players that you tried them on may not like DL discs.

5. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

They may not like recordable DVDs in general. All "pressed" DVDs, that is the ones that you buy or rent, are dual-layer, and always have been. I have noticed that DVD-Rs that I make on my PC will play absolutely fine on my DVD player but they skip and freeze on my daughters player and I lent a DVD to a guy at work and he said the same thing. It doesn't worry me at the moment, although if I have to get a new DVD player in the future I guess it might.

6. krunchy

krunchy Member

Well, all three of my standalone DVD players play recordable single layer DVD's fine. They are different models. In fact, one of them is Sony's 400 disc carousel, and it's always played all kinds of recordable.

All of the players could not read the DL disc. If my standalone players can play Hollywood full size discs and my single layer recordable dics, there has to be something, I am doing wrong when ripping/burning to a dual layer...

When ripping a DVD, is there a special way I need to rip it (settings? -krunchy

7. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@Krunchy

One thing about using DVD-5 discs, you said you were having glitching during playback. A compressed disc on GOOD media will play perfectly with no noticeable glitches, if highly compressed then the picture quality might suffer but the disc will play fine. Stick with TY and Verbatim DVDs you can't go wrong.