1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

backing up TV show DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by hoons, Jun 18, 2004.

1. hoons

hoons Member

Hi, I've been backing up my DVD movie collection (DVD to DVD-R) pretty successfully with DVD2one and now I've come to backing up my "Friends" collection, just wondering what is the best method to do so? can anyone who has backed up their TV show DVDs share some light on this? cheers.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

It should be the same as any other DVD :)

3. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

As Nephilim noted, it is the same process as with any other DVD. When I've backed up my TV discs using DVD Shrink (I don't have DVD2one), the compression is usually 55-60% so I always have it do a "deep analysis" in addition to the quick analysis (1-2 minutes' worth) that it does at the start. If DVD2one has a similar option -- i.e., to take an extra step with DVDs that are going to have to be compressed a lot -- you might take that step even though it will make the process take longer.

If what you're really wondering is if you can split the Friends DVD into 2 back-ups -- e.g., with 3 episodes on each one so no compression is necessary -- I've never done that but others have so just check some of the archives here.

Good luck!

4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I recommend using DVD Rebuilder with CCE Basic for TV shows simply because they tend to have a lot more "main movie" than other discs and IMO CCE is hands down the best choice for high compression. Unfortunately a lot of TV shows can be very tricky to backup because they often aren't transferred or encoded well. With Rebuilder there's another advantage for those bad encodes because you can use AviSynth filters and plugins to "improve" the video quality. Notice the quotes around improve, because you can't actually add quality when it's missing from the source, but you can use filters to remove some of the worst imperfections.

5. six.6.six

six.6.six Regular member

I use shrink in re-author and just grab the show files

6. sash1778

sash1778 Guest

I rip the entire disc to the HD, then use CloneDVD2 to split the original DVD over 2 DVD5's, using the "preserve menus" feature to keep all menus working.

Sasha