1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up with Max Drive Pro

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by mr-cube, Apr 24, 2005.

1. mr-cube

mr-cube Member

2. mr-cube

mr-cube Member

Would the Max Drive Pro be better or the Max Drive Evo Edition.

3. johnodd4

johnodd4 Guest

ok first of you need to understand the max drive pro and the max drive evo won't run backup games the main reason is the games are 6 gigs to 4 gigs a disk the max drive is only 64 megs not gigs

so you cannot but if you want to run homebrew software like linux or other software there is the action replay homebrew kit

but far from that nope nothing except buy a viper gc

4. Kingbug

Kingbug Member

Gamecube games are only 1.35gb...and I think he knows that you can't load a game onto the MaxDrive Pro and play it off there.

I think he means to ask if you would be able to rip games off your GameCube to your PC through the MaxDrive like you would with a BBA.

If anyone has an answer that would be great as I'm also wondering if this is possible.

5. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I'm not real sure about this,but it might be possible with an sd card if big enough.I seen a sd card loader that can load dols and stuff.I never tried it though as it is really expensive one of the 2Gb sd cards might work.

6. Kingbug

Kingbug Member

Well, couldn't the MaxDrive save information to itself, transfer to the PC, and then overwrite the info? So using a ripper loaded onto the MaxDrive, couldn't the MaxDrive work like an unlimited sd card? (well, limited to the size of your harddrive)

7. silver95

silver95 Regular member

Not unless you were able to make a program that allowed you to rip the image in increments... which isn't too likely. It'd be a horrible test of patience, to write a program that will rip a game using specific offsets, having to transfer back and forth over 20 times just to rip a single game. It isn't worth the scene's time to make something so useless, and it isn't worth your time since the speed it would write to the card would be incredibly slow, compared to streaming it, even with heavy error correction.

Now, if someone really wanted to, and depending on just how the Maxdrive's card looks(it has the USB connector in the top, with the GC connector in the bottom, correct?), it may be possible to use the entire max drive as a USB-based ripper, but would probably involve modding the max drive PC client to handle it without corrupting the image.

...It's easier to just get your own BBA if you want to rip games for your own backup, or just do it the easy way and hunt them down online for yourself and burn to play.

And another thing... What is with all the people who obviously do this already, claiming random sizes in the GOD media? It's the same size for -every- game disc, unless someone ripped the garbage data. 1.35 GB (1,459,978,240 bytes). That's the size of a mini-DVD. There's no special media that is used, no random pit sizes, so magic wand. Same size original image, every single disc.(Sorry... that's just something that's been annoying me since long before I joined the board. Only thing that annoys me more are people who ask the dumbest question about RAR archives, asking "Why is the same file in all of these?!1" without bothering to actually try extracting, or understanding the most basic functionality of winrar, or any other modern archiver capable of creating multi-part archives @_@)

8. evlspcmk

evlspcmk Regular member

ive got a 2gb memory card i use for my ngageQD and i think if it was running a cube ISO it would be pretty slow as the transfer rate when using it on a pc card reader isnt to great even thought it is a fast 200x speed if this was possible it would be interesting and funny seing a cube game running on something so small u could fit it up ur ass.. lol