1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup Cactus Data Shield

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by aldaco12, May 13, 2004.

1. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

This is only an 'academic' question, but how can I backup an audio CD protected by Cactus Data Shield?
    CDRWin and Nero cannot even read the CD, Alcohol 120% vers. 1.4.7.1 creates an image 2 GB large!
    The only thing I manage to do is to extract the traces with EAC (Exact Audio Copy, available at http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/). Every time the CD is loaded a number of traces equal to n (n<=N, N being the total nr. of traces that exist on CD)is seen. After some time, if you go on on ejecting/loading the CD, N traces are seen). After that, doing a WAV extraction (WAV button, present in EAC main page) is suggested. This because the last trax (only the last one, I think) is full with noise appended to the Nth song. Doing Tool_Process WAV you can remove the noise.
    This procedure is very good, but the resulting CD (if you burn the WAVs) is no more protected with Cactus Data Shield. How can you backup the full CD (i.e. with the protection included)?

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

If you are talking about CDS300 I havnt had personal experience with it but with the CDS200 my ASUS with both A120 and BlindWrite made short work of it making a perfect backup. CloneCD made a backup however it did not retain the protection afterwards.

The duplication would seem to be highly hardware dependent, what drive are you using to make the copy?

3. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

I can't remember which version, I should use CLONYXXL on the CD again. I have a TEAC-CDW28E, but if your method does not copy the protection it makes little difference.
    Thanks, anyway.

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

When I did it with A120 and BlindWrite i successfully duplicated the protection.... i would imagine it comes down to hardware capabilities :)

5. Shoey

Shoey Guest

There are "limited" burners that can rip CDS200 to your hd. Plextor drives are great for ripping audio cd protection. My Plextor can rip Doc.lock :) Yeah baby! To answer the question your drives must 1st be able to rip CDS200 to your hd. If so then you use EAC or in my case Plex Tools and burn baby burn... :)

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/144/7

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2005
  6. Mez

Mez Active member

You might try a stupidly simple method.

Use an audio capture app that taps off the audio card. There is a set of apps that can record anything that your sound card plays. They are mostly used for recording off the internet. They are real handy, kind of a Swiss Army Knife for audio.