1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup DVD Movie using DVD Shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by dreamer07, Mar 29, 2005.

1. dreamer07

dreamer07 Guest

Hello All,

I am new to process of DVD Movies backup to DVD+R discs. I have a DVD+RW writer on my notebook and Sonic DVD authoring software to burn DVD's. In most of the posts on this form I have found people using Nero with DVD Shrink. Is it possible to use Sonic instead of Nero? Is there any other freeware which can be used in combination with DVD Shrink to burn DVD+R and that can be played on Standalone DVD players?

Any pointers to help DVD movies to backup on DVD+R disc would be very much appreciated.

I have spent many hours trying to use DVD Copy software trial versions to try and backup. Some failed to play on DVD player even after change of media and some failed even to copy it on DVD+R disc even after displaying a successful completion.

2. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Hi, try free programs DVD Decrypter along with DVD Shrink. Decrypter will decrypt to your hard drive and DVD Shrink will size down to fit on DVD-5, and Decrypter will also burn. For all information needed on how to burn and get software go to this site

http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/index.html

3. dreamer07

dreamer07 Guest

Thanks ...

I would try this combination and would get back in case I face some problem.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

[bold]Any pointers to help DVD movies to backup on DVD+R disc would be very much appreciated[/bold]

I am one of those dvd shrink and nero combo as my usual backup process.Here's a couple tips you may want to know:
    1)High quality media,something made in japan
    2)quality burner,one that can booktype a dvd+r to dvd-rom is even better.
    3)A nice,safe burn speed of 4x or lower.
    4)Don't burn the entire blank disc,set the target in dvd shrink to about 4360 mbs.DVD shrink/edit/preferences/click dvd-5-scroll to custom/enter 4360 mbs/ok.
    5)No multi-tasking
    6)No paper-stick on labels.
    7) USB 2.0

[bold]some failed even to copy it on DVD+R disc even after displaying a successful completion[/bold]

This is a normal issue and there are many threads about this subject all over AD.All 6 tips I listed will help on this issue,but there are still certain stand alones that will have a harder time reading your backups. The main thing is you want to make sure your burner drive is able to play it's own backups,and they should look great.Lot's of compatability issues between burners and stand alones.
    Good Luck dreamer07

5. dreamer07

dreamer07 Guest

Thanks Saugmon for ur handy tips!!!

One query regarding tip

[bold]2)quality burner,one that can booktype a dvd+r to dvd-rom is even better.[/bold]

Is DVD Decrypter capable of doing this?

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I'm not sure of decrypter able to booktype to dvd-rom.I just use it on those newer encryptions and recopying a backup on my spare pc.
    Dvd shrink has a box-burn settings tab on backup options tab,as well as nero, But you still have to have a burner with this feature:benq 1620 does,heard the lite-on and sony offers this-but not sure which model #'s.

What burner brand and model# do you have?

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

liteon's have a specific util that can do this, and there are proggies for this if you google search; i only use -R meself, but have read about it...

8. dreamer07

dreamer07 Guest

Hello Saugmon,

I have a Dell notebook with Hitachi-LG GCA-4040N DVD+RW that came installed with it. I am not sure if it has the capacity to booktype a dvd+r to dvd-rom.

How can I check that?

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Here's some info on your burner,but I couldn't find anything about booktyping to dvd-rom. Some of the reviews on this burner don't look very good. Hope it helps.
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters...ame&hits=25&Search=Search#featuresandcomments

Here's part of a thread from this site: [bold]There is a way to burn DVD+R medias as DVD-R, it called changing the “book type”, but this drive’s firmware doesn’t support that and there is no firmware upgrade in the horizon.[/bold]
    So it is doubtful after rereading that link. Good Luck

Last edited: Mar 31, 2005