1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup DVD Stuttering Problem on Home DVD Player (But OK on PC)

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by gijoe24jp, Jan 24, 2005.

1. gijoe24jp

gijoe24jp Member

Hello, I am a newbie to DVD burning and I just bought a LC GSA-4163B DVD writer and I was trying to burn a backup of a movie I own when I noticed some problems. So I tried to experiment with different settings, and came up with the following results.

First, I started burning a movie using PC Shrink + Nero Express with 75% compression (4x) onto a cheap brand DVD-R and I did not select deep analysis nor any enhancement. After finishing burning the disc, I tried to play it on my home DVD player, and the movie and sound stuttered on some scenes.

Next, I tried burning the same movie using the same configuration, EXCEPT I changed the media to a SONY DVD-RW. After burning, the movie worked perfectly on my home DVD player.

Third try, I tried burning the same movie again using the same configuration, this time with a SONY DVD-R disc (8x), and stutterng problem occured again. This time, it seemed to be worse than the first disc I burned with cheap no-brand DVD.

Last try, I tried burning the same movie with the same compression, and this time, I check both "deep analysis" and "enhance sharpness" (which took more than an hour for the whole process). I used the cheap no-brand media again. After burning, it worked perfectly on my home DVD player.

I then noticed that these stuttering discs (#1 and #3 experiment) ran perfectly smooth on my PC, and also on my PS2. But why does it stutter on my home DVD player? How come my #2 and #4 try did not stutter? I really don't want to go through the deep analysis and enhancement process for every disc I try to burn because it takes too long. Will someone please englighten me? Thank you very much.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey gijoe, Your issue is pretty simple, Most of those brands of media may not be on the high quality side.
    Your experaments:
    #1) cheap brand dvd-r 4x: This can be problems right off the bat,Probably have to burn much slower,maybe even 1x.

#2)sony dvd-rw, This is totally different media and keeps you at a safe 4x burn speed.This is a different manufacturer.

#3)sony dvd-8x, This is another manufacturer and if you burn it at 8x,those problems can occur.Try 4x or lower.

#4) used cheap 4x media and all of enhancements. Cheap media can cause issues randomly throughout that spindle pack.

The main thing is your pc plays those backups ok.

Those stand alone players are having trouble reading your burns. This is usually because it don't like that brand of media or the burn speed.Some media is so crappy that the stand alones will give you an "insert disc" error.

The cheap,low quality media can screw you in so many ways,and these problems are magnefied by the stand alone players.Poor media has to be burned slower so the stand alone players can play them.Good luck trying to recopy those backups that are on poor media.

Finding that certain high quality media is what you need. That is a major problem for many of us. Most brands of media are made by different manufacturers.
    Maxell is fairly good to high quality manufactured disc.They are pretty safe to use because of the 4 different manufacturers that make them.In the +,most I use from maxell is ricohjpn-01. Sounds like you prefer the -,try the maxell -4x yellow tops. Manufacturers of those yellowtops are,tygo1,mxlrg02,and what I just ran into this week and it blew me out of my mind-ritik-go4's. All very good to Very high quality media.

Your stand alone players will thank you for the high quality discs that you will feed them.Also keep that burn speed at 4x max.

The prices of high quality media are not much more than cheap,generic brands.I can get maxell -4x yellowtops for $10 a 25 spindle and $20.00 for a 50 pack spindle at my local stores when they go on sale.Plus you take out the fewer coasters and time spent backing up your movies,quality media will pay for itself.

I use dvd shrink's enhancements on larger movies and leave them off if over %80 and have no issues,however I burn at 4x and use high quality media. Hope this helps, Good Luck

3. gijoe24jp

gijoe24jp Member

saugmon, thanks for your advice. I will try to slow down my burn speed and use brand name medias. Again, your help is appreciated.

4. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

saugmon and I are on the same page with regards to Maxell. They are terrific. Your computer's dvd-rom will play a dirty dinner plate if you let it. A stand alone dvd player is not as forgiving. Staples and Office Depot run sales on Maxell every few weeks it seems. Also in shrink set your custom size to 4300 or 4360 to keep the burn away from the edge.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  5. nawlinz

nawlinz Member