1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup DVD to hard drive?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Paladin36, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Paladin36

Paladin36 Member

I am a newbie;
    #1, But would like to backup my DVD collection to my hard drive first and then burn to DVD +/-. Have DVD players that except different formats and do not want to burn one of each (+/-). Which are the best applications to use for that.

#2, Also would like to transfer my VHS collection to DVD, what hardware and software should I look for.

Thank you. Pal

2. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

well the +/- r issue will go on forever I personally use +r for the simple reason My drive is a + only drive but if I personally had the option I would use -r
    1.. the dvd's at the moment are significantly cheaper
    2.. they seem to play on more varios dvd players than +r's
    I recall reading somewere dvd-r will play on 90% of machines to +r's 85% but you have to figure which is personally best for you

I had the choice over it would be -r but I made My choice and am stuck with it

on the vhs issue unsure last time I tried it I used a capture card but that was a while back
    DaOsT

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Paladin36,

DaOst is correct if we take into account older DVD standalones - Players sold today except all formats - I've even thought that a mini-pizza without toppings would play if the cheese wasn't too runny :))

As far as the Plus / Minus, the Plus is supposed to be a superior disc but there are more Minus discs sold (primarily because of Pioneer's popularity) - I have a dual format burner but prefer + discs myself - Prices, not that much of a gap anymore, +R media is going for about $0.89 to $0.99ea. for decent (Ritek) media.

Like DaOst, I use a capture card for Hi-8 and VHS transfer.

When you get ready to backup your DVD collection, come back and we'll help you with software. We have Freeware that compares favorably with the $$$ stuff :)

By the way, Welcome to the Club -

Pete

4. Paladin36

Paladin36 Member

Pete, greetings, thank you for the advise and welcoming me to the club, WOW there is a lot to be learned here. I will look into a capture card for my VHS collection, thanks.
    I am ready to start on my DVD collection as soon as possible, what I like to do is back the movies up to a folders on a hard drive and save them there, then pick up DVD's -/+ at reasonable cost and then burn the movies for showing.

5. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

I got a DVD+RW drive and i heard somewhere that the compatibility is about the same- i burn tons of dvds and when ever i loan one to someone they never came back telling me it didnt play. (but i did have an old -like 97- dvd player that would only except +rw and not +r which is pretty odd) If your new to dvd Backuping, use DVD Shrink - its free, works well and is easy to use.

Dont fall into the trap of buying a flashy "name brand" dvd burner, i got a Justlink Ikebana Drive +rw 2.4x last january for $200- $150 after rebate- and it works fine.(compare to a $400 Sony) Also some people keep saying that cheap brand discs dont work right- i dont know why so many people believe it cause all my discs are usualy the cheapest i can get and they work for me :)

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

A trap has been opened, becareful not to get caught - a mind-boggling number of posts are solved by having people switch to a decent grade of media -

"el Cheapo" is far from cheap because of all the problems it causes - I recommend Ritek (about $0.89 ea) or Verbatim ($0.99 - $1.20ea). Not only will they not cause problems but you'll have longer life (less brittle edges) and fuller discs :))

Pete

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Paladin36,

- - I forgot to add, if you check my signature you'll see that I have the capability of storing upwards of 40 movies on my HD.

I think the most I've had is 23 or 24 movies on my HD at a time :) I was awaiting a media shipment at that time -

Here's a little Hint I've supplied Newbies with from time to time -

HINT: If you’re not burning right away -
    I create a folder on my HD named "All DVD Work" and before ripping my DVD’s I create another sub-folder with the name of the movie I'm backing up. (I.e. All DVD Work\Pirates of the Caribbean.) When you click "Backup" in DVDShrink, a box will come up saying "Target Folder:” click "Browse" and trace your path back to "All DVD Work\ Pirates of the Caribbean " - when DVDShrink is finished, it will give you your VIDEO_TS folder already made for you in your All DVD Work\ Pirates of the Caribbean folder and you’re good to go. Now, if you wish, you can burn it days down the road. At one point I had 23 movies sitting there, just waiting for my shipment of blank DVD media to arrive.

When you wish to burn, use the "File Browser" in Nero (don’t use Wizard) to trace your path back again to All DVD Work\ Pirates of the Caribbean, you don’t have to try to remember where your work is or, if you need to do anymore work on it, it is completely finished, ready to go – you are done and done –

Enjoy,

Pete

8. Paladin36

Paladin36 Member

Pete, thank you for the help.