1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

backup dvd

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dtox, Nov 20, 2004.

1. dtox

dtox Member

hi I'm new I just want know what software can backup dvd movie (tvseries movie such "friends", "simpsons", smallville, etc...). I want backup dvd tvseries movie episode by episode (I don't want use compress the movie), for example dvd smallville disc-1 has 4 episode I want backup 1 or 2 episode to fit in 4.7gig.

I used clonedvd won't let me backup the movie because they say "dvd is protected" or "lock".
    can someone anybody please answer my questions
    thank you

2. brobear

brobear Guest

With CloneDVD you need a decryption program. AnyDVD does a good job. Also, when using hard drive files DVD Decrypter is a good app.

Here is some info that you may find useful. First though let me say that DVD Shrink is free and can do what you want. With any of these programs you'll need to check the guides. There are some very good guides for the DVD Shrink at http://www.dvdshrink.info and for the newer quality settings, you can go to the Shrink section. There are more good guides at http://www.doom9.org . The DVD Shrink app will work with compression or without.

Info for beginners: (I'll mention a few popular programs, but there are others of these types.)
    Backing up factory DVD movies has 3 basic steps and a few things to remember. The steps are 1)Decrypt/deCSS; 2)Encode/Transcode (Fit to the target disc, shrink when necessary); and 3)Burn.

You can have one program that does it all, some programs do a couple of the steps and some only do one step or one step at a time.

Decrypting can be done with driver type decrypters like AnyDVD or with apps such as DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink.

DVD Decrypter is used to decrypt and rip files to the (HD) hard drive. If DVD Decrypter is going to be used as a burner, 2 important things have to be remembered.
    1)Use the ISO read mode to decrypt and
    2)the file size has to be below 4.37 (GB) gigabytes.
    If the file is above 4.37GB, DVD Decrypter cannot burn the ISO file to a 4.7GB disc. [Note: 4.7 is a retail designation for a disc; the actual size of a 4.7 disc that a computer reads is 4.37GB.] File size is important to know.

DVD Shrink can be used to decrypt and rip to the HD. Normally though, Shrink is used to decrypt a disc, using a temporary file, and transcoding the file in preparation to be burned. Nero isn't part of Shrink, but is the default app that Shrink uses to burn automatically. Shrink can also use DVD Decrypter in ISO burn mode and CopytoDVD can also be used. I suggest Nero, as DVD Shrink is already set to use it.

There are a number of transcoding programs, browsing the forums can get a lot of info on those. It's already been mentioned what they do. Just remember, simply speaking, this step is to prep the file for burning.

There are a number of apps on the market now. Due to laws, most of the popular recording programs now are trancoding and burning programs. These recording programs have to have a decrypter. With a driver type decrypter the program runs as though it was one of the older ripper programs that did everything. With the manual type decrypters the files are ripped to the HD and the file then has to be opened by the recording program.

Burner or recording programs are either incorporated into programs or are separate in recording suites. I mentioned Nero as it is a favorite on many forums and a favorite of mine. There are others.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2004
  3. dtox

dtox Member

thank you brober

4. brobear

brobear Guest

Glad to be of help. Hope that got you going in the right direction. Let us know how things turn out.

5. dtox

dtox Member

hi brobear, is me again sorry if I have alot of questions (I browse in forum but too much and not really help me, make me confuse (maybe my english is poor)).

I did using dvd shrink but is took 2-3hours is too long :(
    I try dvd decrypter is faster but you said only for dvd movie under 4.7gig.

my questions how do I remove unwanted feature using dvd shrink 3.2? I need guide step by step if you don't mind. I look in dvdshrink forum someone say dvdshrink can backup dvd tvseries but I don't know how?
    thank you

6. brobear

brobear Guest

I don't know if you noticed, but Shrink has its own section here at AD. There's a bunch of Shrink fans there. Take a look at the guides at http://www.dvdshrink.info , there are also some good guides on Shrink and Decrypter at http://www.doom9.org as well as the guides here at AD. For the easy quick guides, dvdshrink.info has the ones with pictures to help learn the controls. Those guides can direct you much better than I can.

7. brobear

brobear Guest

Speed is dependent on the hardware as well as the software. We didn't talk about equipment limitations. But that is a topic for another thread.

8. dtox

dtox Member

thank you brobear

9. brobear

brobear Guest

You're welcome. Hope you get everything going your way.

10. mirianbru

mirianbru Member

Hi, I've been doing dvds copy of Friends' comedy and everything was ok until I arrived to the 3rd season-4th disk. With this one, I've tryied all! clone DVD, DVDXCopy platinum, DVDrecode and finaly the best one Super DVD Copy and nothing. It doesn't work. With Super DVD Copy at least I could copy the dvd in my pc, but than it is impossible to watch it, it comes with a lot of wrong pixels, white or transparent and moving, and when I try to do the sencond part: compress with shrink, it says that shrink encountered an error and cannot continue.
    Does some one have an idea of what to do?
    Thank you

11. brobear

brobear Guest

Looks like you went shopping at 1st dvd copy or the like. I rarely hear of those programs. I wouldn't go calling them the best, especially when they fail.

Unless there is something wrong with the disc, DVDCopy3 from InterVideo should do the job of encoding and burning. Use a driver type decryter, like AnyDVD, and/or DVD Decrypter to rip to the hard drive. For a sure job I rip to the HD using Decrypter and then load the file into DVDCopy3. You can download DVD Decrypter from this site and you can get a 15 day trial of DVDCopy3 from the InterVideo site. You can get a trial of AnyDVD from the SlySoft website. I leave it running in the background even when I use Decrypter or Shrink. Just an added bit of insurance.