1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup Friendly DVD Players

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by ima49311, Feb 24, 2005.

1. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

So, ive decided to return my new Sony 5 Disc DVD changer becuz it cant play backups to save its life.. My question is what are some good brands out there that play pretty much everything and on any disc.. I know Apex is good, but if possible id like to get a little better than that.. so, toshiba? jvc? rca? sylvania? etc? if people could list some id really appreciate it.. thanks in advance..

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  2. hursty

hursty Active member

try the cheapest one you can get
    they will read anything

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

yup, i'll second that. I have 2 cheapy Cyberhome CH-400's (can't find any more of these for love nor money). Anyway they play everything i throw at them and were smart enuff to tell me that i should stop buying crappy Bulkpaq discs (quite a few started skipping). Switched to Verbatim (even though always burn at 4x on whichever media), and hey presto no skipping films

Rich

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I've got a sony dvd-ns325 that doesn't let me down. This baby plays everything from all 4 of my burners.
    When it acts up,either the disc isn't finalized or something screwy about those newer encryptions.

But like hursty said, those cheaper ones will play just about everything-apex,cyberhome,ilo.

If you do get one,buy it at local store like wal-mart.If it doesn't play your backups,just simply exchange it for another one.

5. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I personally hate Apex. I had one once and it played one DVD one time. Everything else I put in it said to insert a disc like there was nothing in it. These were originals too. Then I put the same one back in that it played before, and that gave me the same message. Also, on most of them (that I've used at least) when you hit eject it takes like 10 seconds. I just think they're too cheap. They might play everything, but they still suck.

6. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

Sanyo,Sanyo Sanyo. They even made my coffee the other morning. $54 at wally world.

7. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Sony - NS575 (recent model) not one problem - I also use a Mintek and PS2 with minimal at best problems. Tried and returned Koss and Samsung then bought another Sony.

8. rhino351

rhino351 Regular member

all the new yamaha dvd players will play my burned dvds, and they are nice

9. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

APEX all day long. I got 2 and they play everything model
    1150 and 2500. The 2500 is a nicer unit than 1150 but it should be it cost 3 times more. piced up 1150 at sears for 25 bucks if it lasts a year i got my moneys worth out of it. Both play burned media that my Xbox will not.

Good Luck!!

Spacedust

10. tmfloria

tmfloria Active member

Philips DVP642 DivX-Certified Progressive-Scan DVD Player
    It totally plays everything from Divx to DVD to backups to MP3's and the $69 price tag makes it definately worth every penny

11. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Ya, I'd recommend the Philips DVP642 as well. Its not a perfect player, but if you can imagine yourself ever wanting to play a lot of avi/mpeg/etc files on your tv, without spending the hours it takes to encode them to dvd format, this player is a godsend.

12. kigol

kigol Member

I love my Philips DVP642.

13. bassnut

bassnut Regular member

I have the Koss and it will erun all day with my burnt disks ..... had bought a cheap Sylvainia and it froz on my girlfriend and burned itself out so that is something to watch out for.

14. tmfloria

tmfloria Active member

The Best part of the Philips DVP642 is you can upgrade the software for it.. if a New Ver of Divx or Xvid is to come out Philips is good about upgrading the software of its player

15. cgram7

cgram7 Member

16. DanGuy104

DanGuy104 Guest

I took a copied movie and a DVD with MP3's on it to the electronic shop. I tried all the players they had. All of them would play the movie. Only two out of 20 would play the MP3's. Most DVD players will play MP3's from CD-R's but not to many will play from DVD-+R. This was about a year ago. I bought a Toshiba and I love it.

Dan Guy

17. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

In my opinion it's wise to consider the media being used before blaming the player. Most people think a disc is a dsc because they all look the same basically, but a player; they come with so many different options and features and shapes, it must be to blame. The (in)compatibility has alot to do with both......

18. offset

offset Regular member

I have to agree with bigwop. My Sanyo is the cat's ass for playing my copies. It even played my Great AZO (piece of crap media that I will never buy again).

19. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

ima49311 CHECK OUT THE SAMSUNG to i got one for about 50 bucks with the progressive scan and it plays about everything also

20. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

i use rca that plays everything except for burned dvd+r dl discs . i have not found a single layer disc + or - that it would not play yet .