1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup Help

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by swadewade, Sep 20, 2004.

1. swadewade

swadewade Member

I bought a DVD burner about a month ago. I've backed up about 10 movies so far, using Clone DVD2 mostly, but sometimes Shrink or Decrypter if need be. I use Region Free +CSS or AnyDVD. I haven't had a problem with backups until.....I tried to backup Phantom Menace. Now, I read the posts about multiple angles and all, but I don't think that's the prob. I'm trying to copy the whole disk (menus are the focus here), and no matter what program I use, it freezes up midway through encoding (meaning, program stalls out around 13%, but still shows working). NOW, I found that if I choose not to "preserve" the menus in Clone DVD2, it will encode just fine. So my question is, has anyone else had this happen? What can I do to keep the menus? Or is it something else I'm doing that's messing it up....any help appreciated.

2. andmerr

andmerr Guest

the support team for clonedvd is very good and has helped me with a few issues with in there program ,maybe email them using the link below.

http://www.elby.ch/

3. totos

totos Guest

Although its unlikely, have you checked if the menu part of the DVD is damaged...Try and play only this part in CloneDVD 2...and see if it freezes at all

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there swadewade, Welcome to aD,

By working with this guide you'll be able to determine if you have any "damaged files" as DVD Decrypter will show them to you. If it's just a "doggy" DVD, the following will see you through -

When you have a "touchy" DVD and want to back it up perfectly, follow this ScubaPete "mini- guide". You'll also want to keep this handy should you ever want to copy an episodel disc, as in a TV series type DVD.

Are we ready ? Kweeeel -

To begin with, let's create a folder for your HD backup. This is the place on your HD where DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink will work on your movie files and where DVD Decrypter can pick them up to burn to disc. Try to put it someplace where you won't forget it (i.e. C:\ All My DVD Work\"Dumb and Dumber Meet the Parents Out for a Kill get Eaten Alive").

Next download DVD Decrypter -
    Here's the link for the newest DVD Decrypter -
    http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

Got it ? Neato, now lets rip this "puppy" - Under "Mode" select "ISO" then "tick" "Read". Lets "untick" "Verify", this will lessen errors. [/i]Where it says, "source", you'll put either your DVD-ROM drive OR the location on your HD where your DL resides. Lastly, where it says "Destination", select the folder we just made where we can work on our project. By doing this, we keep everything on the disc EXACTLY as it is including size.

When DVD Decrypter is finished we'll need to reset it for its writing phase.

Well Alrighty then, under "Mode" select "ISO", then choose "Write". Where it says, "Source", you can leave that blank as DVD Decrypter will find the location of your backed up DVD file automatically. Lastly, where it says "Destination", select the drive where your burner resides. Feel free to close DVD Decrypter now as DVD Shrink will open it when it needs it.

Next let's download DVD Shrink, version 3.2.
    Here's the link for the newest DVD Shrink -
    http://www.dvdshrink.org/
    Outstanding ! Open it and click "Edit", then click "Preferences" on this page we're going to select "DVD Target Size" as "Custom" and set the size between "4260" and "4300MB" - we do this to make sure that we don't write too close to the edge of the disc. Then under the "File I/O" tab un-tick "Enable burning with Nero" then click "OK"

"File" then select "Open Disc Image". Allow DVD Shrink to rip the ISO image.

Now you can place your original DVD in your DVD-ROM drive and a DVD blank in your burner's drive (If you have two drives). If you only have the one drive, put your original in that drive now. When the time comes for you to put in your blank in either the drive door will open OR a message will appear. As for your DVD blank media, THIS IS IMPORTANT. Poor quality DVD blanks are responsible for a host of copying errors and hence, failures. Look for a thread dealing with backup media where we'll discuss DVD media in depth. But for now, PLEASE acquire some of the following. Recommended media for use with this ScubaPete mini-guide. Quality media would be Sony, TDK, Ritek G04, Verbatim "DataLife", Verbatim DataLife Plus, Ridata or any media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO", Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi are excellent bets. -
    This might be a good time to use a DVD RW. We won't use them regularly because for 1, many older DVD players don't play them and 2, they cost too much (Lol). We want to use them now because if we make a mistake, it won't cost us a disc. When we get our steps down we'll then switch to our single-write media.

With DVD Shrink open, look to your right and under the "Compression" tab you'll see the word "Video" under that you'll see a pull down box that currently says "Automatic". Now, on your left you'll see "DVD Structure", that's where you'll see your DVD parts, "Menu", "Main Movie", "Extras" and sometimes "Unreferenced Material". By clicking on the "Extras", you can go back to your right and click that pull down arrow and you'll see "Still Image" OR "Still Picture". By clicking on "Still Picture" you can compress the "Extras" down to almost nothing, thereby allowing your "Main Movie" more room (less compression) thereby improving your picture. You can do the same with your "Unreferenced Material" to gain still more room for your "Main Movie".
    To top it all off, uncheck all the languages in both the "Extras" and "Un referenced Materials" and uncheck those foreign languages like Solarian Moon Mingle OR Klingon Basin Yak you won't use that are in the Main Movie, gaining even more room for your DVD without touching your menus. :D)

Finally, select "Backup". Take just a second and under "Target Device" go to "Select backup target " once there, select "ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter". Now, under "Quality Settings, "tick" "Compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation" there you may adjust quality enhancements. Practicing with the settings can produce even better end products. For a no-frills DVD's like "There's something about Mary" I like "Maximum Smoothness" BUT for DVD's with a lot of special effects, I use the "Maximum Sharpness" setting. That's for me, you'll have to decide what you like :) If all the boxes are "grayed out" that's OK, it means your DVD is small enough that little will be lost from the original. While we're there and if you have the time to do a really nice backup, "tick" "Perform deep analysis before backup to improve quality". It may take a few hours BUT for an outstanding job, it's worth it :) Finally, where it says "Select target image file", browse till you find your created folder for your backup It will save this final ISO image right beside your other work, then click "Save". That's it ! Click "OK" and DVD Shrink burns that ISO image to your HD. It then opens DVD Decrypter and has it burn the ISO image to your waiting blank DVD.
    Don't use your PC for anything while it's working. After all this work let's not mess it up by stealing resources away from our project.

* There have been issues where playing your DVD on your burner may result in errors during processing :-(

When you're looking for a guide with a light side, shop ScubaPete :p)

Enjoy your backup and Let me know how you made out -

Cheers,

Pete

PS Yea, I know, it's not such a "mini-guide" (Lol)BUT it is a good one :D)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent IV CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM.
    128MB GeForce4 TI 4200, O/S XP[/small]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2004
  5. swadewade

swadewade Member

Thanks for the responses guys! In following Pete's guide, as I'm making the ISO in Decrypter, it times out around 91% through. Gives me an I/O Error, with No Seek Complete. Now, to be fair, I'm backing up Phantom Menace and Xmen....and I'm having the same problem. If I just wanted to rip the movie, it's no problem, but when I try to keep the whole disk or preserve the menus....problem. In my own defense, I'm very good with creating disk ISO's, using ISO buster, I regularly assemble binaries from newsgroups, have a ton of game emulators....I'm not completely retarded when it comes to this stuff. And I've backed up a bunch of DVD's already, too; I'm just stuck on these two.

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

swadewade,

We're not using ISO Buster we're using DVD Decrypter.

Under "Tools" select "Settings" then click the "ISO Read Mode" tab. When you're there "tick" "Remove PUO's" and try again.

When you say you got to 91% then "Timed out", did you bother at all to hit "Retry" ?

Timing out isn't very unusual. I just did Pumpkinhead and I timed out at 44%. I probably hit the Retry button 30 times, gaining a few percent each time to get over the bad spots on the disc BUT when I finished I could burn an error free disc and copy from the same.

Try again -

Pete

7. swadewade

swadewade Member

Ok...good deal. I'm hitting retry. I didn't know that was "part of the process". Much appreciated Pete. I'll let you know how it comes out. :)

8. swadewade

swadewade Member

ISO successfully made....thanks again Pete

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

swadewade,

Now that you're doing well, that doesn't mean it's time for you to leave - this is a give and take kind of deal - we had fun with you, now you get to have some fun yourself :)

It’s people like you who make this site work - You've seen how we work and, you see we had fun doing it -

Now it's your turn, stop back when you're free and help someone else - You'll have fun and a chance to learn some more, (teaching is a learning experience too you know) the people you help will appreciate it and it will make you feel better :)

Then you can “Welcome” them into our little Club :D

We hope to see you around when you're not having problems to solve -

You'll find us hanging out, over there by the water cooler under the potted palm, chewing the fat and trying to help the next Newbie with the weight of the burning world upon their shoulders -

We'll be looking for you -

Cheers,

Pete

10. andmerr

andmerr Guest

pete that was an awesome guide thanks for the light reading

andmerr

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Thank you andmerr (doing that ScubaPete bow with the flippers on )