1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup issue

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by guessswho, Aug 21, 2007.

1. guessswho

guessswho Regular member

Hey everyone. I have the sh-d162c flashed with kreon v.81 on my computer with my xbox dvd drive already flashed. I am having problems making backups of my games. Just so everyone knows ahead of time, it is ide connected as the slave, and I am typing this at a friends computer, so I am pretty sure I know what the error messages are, but it might not be exact so bear with me.

I have both xbox backup creator and schtrom. Both the 2.5 and 3.2 versions respectively, and I also have the 3.0 version of the schtrom. I have my dvd drive connected but neither program will work with my drive to backup the game. When I insert the game, my computer reads is and recognizes that it is there, but then when I try to run lets say the xbox backup creator program, when I am in the read tab, the start button is shadowed out where i cannot click it. I have tried many different settings, I made sure the drive was set to the sh-d162c and even specified that it was a 360 game (I have done all this along with leaving the default settings in place additionally) and it still just stays shadowed out. One out of maybe every twenty times, I will click the unlock drive button, it will say drive is already unlocked, but then I can actually hit the start button to read it. But if left on the complete backup option, it will say something along the lines of cannot find current partition and then it won't read.

With the schtrom 3.0 it will say there is no valid 360 game in the drive. With the 3.2 it will start initially with saying checking if dvd is in drive and then an error message will pop up saying "getmediasizeinfo failed". And the one time it did make it past that message, it said could not extract ss.bin and then failed.

Can anyone give ideas how to fix? I really would appreciate it guys. thanks

Just so everyone also knows, I have been reading that I should try it at master, but is being set at slave is what would cause these problems? Any ideas, let me know. thanks

2. immy_2k

immy_2k Regular member

k just try it with mater set and to make sure everything is in correctly the plugs on the back if that doesnt work then try to download the latest schtrom 3.3.
    1)when u put the game in to ur sammy drive flashed with kreon click on my computer and see if it has read the game you are trying to back up it will show up along the lines of xgd or ntscdvd atleast you know then that ur sammy drive has read the game.
    IMPORTANT MAKE SURE U USE BACK UP CREATOR 2.5 AND THAT THE GAME IS SCRATCH FREE AND CLEAN TRY A COUPLE OF GAMES IF ONE DOESNT WORK I COULD BE A DIRTY DISK
    if the game shows up in back up in my computer ur sammy drive flahsed with kreon is ok

2) once u put in ur game give it 20 seconds to just read dont have anything open like xbox creator or schtrom or any other prgrammes once your computer has read the disk and it shows close anything it might show

3) now open up xbox back up creator 2.5 AND CLICK ON UNLOCK DRIVE DO IT TWICE
    then click on complete back up and odnt touch anything else

40 MAKE A FOLDER ON UR DESKTOP CALL IT GAMES and then click start on xbox XBC go to ur game folder, when naming the game make sure u name game.iso and nothing else ok just (game.iso)

then just hit save

download xbox creator off a viable site to make sure it is a working version

let us know how u get on ok andp ost back here

ALWAYS HIT UNLOCK DRIVE FIRST

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  3. guessswho

guessswho Regular member

so when I load the disc into the sh-d162c, it does pick it up with exactly what you said it should. The drive is also set as the master drive. Now I hit the unlock drive twice, and click read, and when it is selected as complete backup it says "cannot find the current partition" Or something extremely similar to that and then the read fails. But when I select the backup type as current partition rather than complete backup it will read it. Can I still use this image to burn as my backup? Additionally, I did download the 3.3 version of schtrom and it continues to do the following: it says writing like blank video.iso or whatever the first step is, but when it gets to extracting the ss.iso it continues to say that it cannot do it and then that read fails. Any ideas?

4. fudpucker

fudpucker Regular member

you need xbc 2.4, the version 2.5 has a few bugs.

5. guessswho

guessswho Regular member

is there a way you can pm me a link to the 2.4 version? Also, I have tried older versions, not specifically the 2.4 but it still comes up with that same thing that it cannot find the current partition. I have tried making it put the image on an external hd and that also does not work. My drive is capable of recognizing the games. SO what could cause this program to not work?

6. fudpucker

fudpucker Regular member

you need to try 2.4 you will find it in xbins

7. steimy

steimy Active member

You can use either one. 2.5 does have a few bugs but if everything was working right it would still read the disc and make the back up. The onlt annoying bug i found with 2.5 is that when doing a stealth check it always lists the video as "questionable. But you can just double check it with DVDmulleter9, which i always do because it's stealth check is more complete, and then it will tell you for sure.

I really do not think it is the program your using but more something with your system or the drive. Have you tried flashing it back to the original Samsung firmware (just search SH-D162C firmware and the official Samsung site will have it), and then find a copy of the Kreon firmware and flash that back again. If it was a bad flash job it could cause you all kinds of problems. The bin file you flash with will come with instructions and a flashing program and is very easy.

Also, do you do all of your Windows updates? Or have you made any changes to the PC recently? Like mine stopped working after i formated and reinstalled windows and i still do not have it figured out 100% yet. Although i have it about 75% figured out.

8. immy_2k

immy_2k Regular member

download all latest updates for your computer
    flash the sammy firmware back to original and then re flash with kreon and make sure u either use backup creator 2.4 or 2.5.

9. guessswho

guessswho Regular member

well just to let everyone know, I did do windows updates, and xbc still did not work. However, I installed the schtrom 3.3 and overwrote the files for the 3.2 version, but on accident I clicked the 3.2 version exe file (which is using the 3.3 dll's to run) and somehow it was able to make a backup. I burned and tested and it worked. xbc still doesn't but this does. So I can't complain, thanks everyone for the help, I appreciate it. I just think it's odd that that will now work.

10. fudpucker

fudpucker Regular member

operator error, and 2.5 has a lot more bugs in it than that, i have had the same problems but hey what do i know... chow

11. steimy

steimy Active member

fudpucker, If you have had the same problems then you should know the solution. So why not enlighten us a bit further than operator error.
    and for the record i can almost assure you it is not user error as i am working through a similar problem and have been doing this sort of thing for a long time, and until a recent Windows update everything worked just fine.

It is more likely a driver/ system element that was there due to an update, or a program you installed that is no longer present on the system.

12. immy_2k

immy_2k Regular member

i think it is more like to be a device or system error to. ut gladly when i reinstalled windows it all worked fine first time the major cause of my error was my hard drive so had to buy a new one. but it neva affected my back ups but just a thought. if ur hard drive ever gets corrupted anytime soon it could just be that but i think you could say it could be anything . but glad u got a back up working

13. guessswho

guessswho Regular member

yeah, I didn't know if it was in my setup. I built my computer, initially my motherboard had a really hard time detecting my hard drive when I first built it (finally after three days and many bios updates and changes it detected it) and I was afraid it was going to be something like this where it just wouldn't work unless I had another computer. XBC doesn't work, but schtrom now does. So like I said before, thanks for all the help guys and responses. I just have to assume it was a windows update like you said because once I did that and completely updated everything on my comp, changed to master, etc. it worked. so thanks guys