1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup movies keeep freezing.

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by wombat69, Apr 16, 2005.

1. wombat69

wombat69 Member

First of all a great site folks and your help is greatly appreciated.
    I have backed up a number of DVDs and also some of my music DVDs.
    A few of these have worked but the majority will work for a part of the
    of the movie (some for nearly all of it) and then freeze or become blocky.
    I used Princo's and then went to Ritek.
    I'm using DVD shrink and DVD decrypter.
    Thanks..

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

How fast do you burn?

Printco media isn't very good.The ritek's are a heck of a lot better.

You notice these issues when you play those backups on a stand alone player,yes?

3. wombat69

wombat69 Member

I'm burning at 1x and yes on a stand alone player. Do you think the problem is with the player?

4. hogan

hogan Regular member

Sounds to me like it is a problem with your media. Try a better brand, like Ritek or Verbatim. Also I burn at 4x and my burns play anywhere.

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Which exact ritek media do you have?

Dvd decrypter will tell you the mfg code on them: example- Ritek r02/r03/g03/g04/g05 etc.

6. oceanskey

oceanskey Guest

I have been having the same problem with 3 separate types of media. I have tried ritek R04, ritek R03, and Ricoh R01. They all burn fine and play well until the final 15-20 minutes of the movie, then they begin to skip and freeze (whether it is near the edge or no where near the edge). They skip and freeze in both of my stand alone players and both of my computer drives. I have even burned at all possible speeds (1x, 2x, 4x, 8x).

I never had this problem with Ricoh R00 discs. I just can't find any more.

The drives I have are NEC DVD+RW ND 1100A and NEC DVD+RW ND 3500AG. (the problem persists no matter which drive I burn with and at any speed I burn at. My stand alones are a Philips DVP 642 and a Sony DVP-NS300.

7. Xmonkey29

Xmonkey29 Guest

maybe game scratched

8. Xmonkey29

Xmonkey29 Guest

sorry movie scratched.

9. medicate

medicate Member

are they labled ? if so remove labels then they might work .
    had this problem with many disc once labels removed played perfect.

10. oceanskey

oceanskey Guest

neither the movies are scratched nor are the blanks. And no labels either. But I did uninstall and re-install both my nero 6.6.0.0 and my DVD shrink 3.2.0.14 and just backed up "Oceans 12" and it works fine on a ritek R03, so maybe that was the problem.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

11. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Oceanskey:
    One thing you may want to change is your backup target. If you are using dvd shrink,just open it up/edit/preferences/ click on dvd-5/scroll till you get to custom/enter 4300 mbs/OK.

I use quality verbatim data life plus,taiyo yuden,and maxell media. I still keep my target set at 4360 mbs.It helps prevent issues like you are facing.

Keep the burnspeed under 4x/no background programs running/no labels/no mult-tasking. If you sony standalone keeps showing these issues,then try cleaning the laser lens.

12. wombat69

wombat69 Member

Aaahhgggg just hit the wrong key and lost my msg. Start again.

The media I'm using is Ritek G04.
    The burner is a LG GSA-412B and also a Lite On combo drive SOHC-523K.

I'm playing them on a Pioneer DV-533K or a LG LHD6246.
    The Pioneer is geting on a bit so might look for a cheap replacement.
    Will try changing DVD Shrink to 4300Mb.
    I use the P.C for nothing else while burning.
    Also would it be make nay difference if I tried burning with Nero.

I aint giving up.... :)

13. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey wombat69, definitely try nero. I have both nero and dvd decrypter and do a lot of screwing around with both burn engines.It's always good to have a second burning program to troubleshoot.

Ritek g04's are pretty good media. Definitely reduce your backup target to 4300 mbs. If that don't help,try the plus format,I believe your lg will do both. The specs looked like the plus format will burn at 12 max in it.My standalones tell my my benq backups are better in the plus format,I have trouble on a few with the dash format.I'm not sure about your combo drive.

14. dayspring

dayspring Guest

I have the same problem - I am using Verbitans 4x, the first few i did were perfect backup but the last few constently freez, i think the problem is the disk is fragmented, (I have read this on the forum before some time back and it kinda makes sence).

Regards
    Dayspring

15. jmet

jmet Regular member

If your backup freezes, stutters, skips, or has some pixelation, it is more than likely due to poor quality media being used. Cheap media is poorly manufactured around the edge of the disc, hence the reason why it mostly skips toward the end of the movie. The two main things to consider first are:
    • Is it cheap media that you are using? (ie. some off brand you bought at a local computer store/fair, even a store like Circuit City or Best Buy sells cheap low quality media.)
    • How fast are you burning? - Burn no faster than 4X, might have to go down to 2X with really cheap media.

Also, are you using adhesive labels on your back ups? If so, try removing the labels (if you can) and playing them again. Go here for more info on why not to use labels. - http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28604

You can go here for some other possible solutions: http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44912

Also try lowering outcome the "Target DVD size".

Open DVD Shrink. Click "Edit", then "Preferences". On the first tab at the top in the drop down box, change it from "DVD-5 (4.7GB) to "Custom" and enter a number of 4200MB (4464MB is burning to the edge of the disc, you want to stay away from the edge as the edge of cheap media (disc's) are poorly manufactured). Screen Shot Below:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  16. B2D327

B2D327 Regular member

@wombat69
    you might also want to see if there is a firmware upgrade for your burner that might increase it's compatibility with various media brands.

17. we_rule

we_rule Member

I had many problems with watching backup movies for months. I thought is was my burner, the media, the program I was using, my hardware. I switched out everything to no avail. Then one day my dvd player locked up on a brand new DVD I received as a gift. I knew then that it was my player. I previously had purchased really cheap DVD players. (sub $40) I replaced it with a panasonic VCR/DVD comb from Costco. I have had no problems since. I am able to even watch the previous discs that locked up like crazy. I have tested burning at 2.4x, 4x, 8x, and 12x. Play back is no problem.

18. dayspring

dayspring Guest

I too have tested my freezing DVD in another DVD player and they play fine, no skips, my player is quite old and it looks like the laser is on its way out cheaper to buy a new player then fix.

See if this fixes your problem.

Regards
    Dayspring