1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

backup my backups

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by snoopydog, Oct 17, 2004.

1. snoopydog

snoopydog Guest

is it ok to back up a backup. i found out some of mine are skipping and was wondering if i can back up my back ups. also why do they skip?

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I don't discuss backups, the reasoning behind it being if you have the original, why do you need to copy a copy?

In your situation, if there is something wrong with your files, whatever is in the first one having problems will probably cause problems in the copy of a copy also.

There is one BIG exception, skipping is a prime indicator of crappy media. What are you using? I recommend Ritek G04 4x -R or Ridata 4x +R. Both can be gotten at Meritline for under .50 each w/free shipping.

Another cause of this problem is burning too fast. I never burn over 4x, (thus the recommendation for 4x media, not to mention it's cheaper). Sometimes if I'm experiencing problems I burn at 2.4x and with PS2 game backups I burn at 1x :>)

3. snoopydog

snoopydog Guest

for my media i use legacy dvd-r and i burned those at x4 but i did eternal sunshine at i burned that at 1x and it worked. some movies when i went through them once they didnt skip...but i went through them again to double check and they did then.

so i burn it and it works once then it starts skipping.

any suggestions...also how long does finding nemo take to back up i started doing it and it said 7 hours. thats the longest ive seen.

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Definitely sounds like media. Try either of my recommendations. media is a HUGE factor in dVD backup!

with your described hit or miss symptoms i'd bet a dollar it's your media. people underestimate their media, this isn't VHS or CD recording. Crappy media causes all kinds of problems with DVD backup. You could have it work now and a year from now it won't.

Ritek or Ridata are dependable and at under .50 each, not expensive. Make sure they are BRANDED!