1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup of Criterion edition of Rashomon

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Culley, May 26, 2004.

1. Culley

Culley Guest

I've encountered my first little snag backing up a DVD.

It's the Criterion Collection edition of Rashomon. Using DVD Decrypter I see that the disc reads at about 7.5GB.

I copy the DVD to my harddrive and then try to use DVD Shrink to write it to a disc, however the main movie is split into 4 equal 1hr 28min files. Each file totals about 5.5GB, which makes the new total length of the disc well over 20GB.

Each file is identical when I preview it, however, none of them (individually) contain subtitles. Once I select all 4 files to write to disc, subtitles appear.

Any idea on what is going on and/or suggestions for how to writing to disc?

Thanks.

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

That can be a little misleading, the actual size of the movie is only 5.5 GB. Different formats of the same movie share the same basic data. That is what you are seeing.
    There is some difference between each 5.5 GB movie, for example, one may be wide screen, another may be full screen.

Only if you were to record each vesion back to back would you end up with "over 20GB".

What you need to do is determine the difference in each version and select just one for your back-up.

Watching the original and noting the menu choices can be helpful. Then use Shrink's preview screen to play each main movie title and find the version you like.

Just one more thing, look at the movie in the full disc mode. You can do a bit of figuring with the compression Shrink wants to apply and the compressed size. IE, 4464MB @ 50% = 8928 MB for the uncompressed movie...Nowhere near 20GB. ;D

Cheers,
    Frank
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: May 26, 2004
  3. Culley

Culley Guest

Yeah, I viewed each "movie" and as far as I can tell, they are identical. There are no widescreen versions of the movie.

I even checked each movie IFO with IFOedit and received the same information about each.

The weird thing is the subtitles do not appear when I preview the separate movies in either DVD Shrink or PowerDVD. If I select all of the movies to be copied (back to back as outlined above), the subtitles appear.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but I just haven't encountered anything like this before.

The movie says to have been recorded in RSDL format, but other than dl being dual layer, I'm not sure what that means.

Thanks.

4. dlocke

dlocke Regular member

I backed up the Criterion edition of Rashomon with DVD Shrink 3.17 and Nero 6 with no problems. Shrink his an automatic mode that will compress the disc down to 4.3GB to burn to dvd-/+media. Haven't made a coaster yet.

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

RSDL: Reverse Spiral Double Layer....

This feature of DVD allows publishers to put even long movies onto a disc without you having to flip the disc. The player detects the end of one layer and automatically refocuses the laser to read from the second layer, which is underneath the first, slightly transparent one. The layer change might cause a slight jitter in the movie, which is so short however, that it is barely noticeable on most players, if at all. I think that most of us would know this as OTP, Opposite Track Path. I noticed that most of the episodic DVDs I burn are PTP, Parallel Track Path. Here, the laser moves from the center outward and then at the layer break jumps back to the center and reads the second layer from there, outward. I would suspect that the episodic discs can have a substantial layer break pause between episodes.

That's odd about the subtitles not being avalible on each main movie title. What does Shrink show for subpictures when you reauthor, No boxes avalible to check or uncheck? Yet the boxes are there when you are in full disc mode?

BTW from my earlier reply:
    That is wrong. I looked a movie similar to yours and in full disc mode and it did show the size as the combined total for all the versions of the main movie title. So my math formula would not work either.

Cheers,
    Frank

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: May 28, 2004
  6. Culley

Culley Guest

I did end up doing a full backup in DVD Shrink v3.1 and the quality was fine.

Yep. That's what happened exactly.