1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup of my games

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Gndcomm, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Gndcomm

Gndcomm Guest

I have a PS2 about 3 weeks old and only own two games presently. Hoping to build my collection, but for right now I own Nascar 2003 and a Crash Bandicoot Wrath of Cortex game. I am interested in playing backups of these and keep the originals in mint condition. I have been reading of a DMS3 V2 chip and the merits of it, but at the same time have read of some installation problems. I haven't done any soldering for about 10 years and installation posts of some problems with this installation are making me hold back at this time. I read also that this DMS3 will play any backup. Now I have also read of alternatives to soldering DSM3 with non soldering types of mods. My question is, do they also play all backups? I do not mind the inconvenience of taking a few extra minutes to get everything going, but if they are limited I might go with the DSM3. I have someone who works in an electronics shop who would be willing to install the DMS3 if I go that route. If a "swap disk" type of mod or whatever other type will work, I would like to hear about them. My emphasis is on playing most if not all games. I know things will happen in future that any mod may not play a certain game, but for the present is there a non solder mod that competes with DMS3.

Thanks
    Ken

2. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Swap magic will play most games, but they have problems with new games. I would recommend getting the Magic 3.1 (problems with v7 PS2s) or Messiah 2.

3. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

Yeah, swap magic has problems with some games, but you can use cdloader then. Also, the new swap magic is supposed to fix this problem. I have a flip top and swap magic and have yet to find a game i can't backup.

4. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

for a cheap mod chip that boots it all go for magic3.1 boots it all and i notice it cost only $20 then you have the Messiah2 v1.33(fits into a scph-5000X) then you have a DMS3(that dosent fit into a scph-5000X yet)

magic3.1 can cost from 20-30(keep in mind that magic can heat up and make the game freeze)

Messiah 2 can be lil bit more price with 40-50

DMS3 cost from 60-80 depends on the version

they all hard to solider from 11 to 33 wires.. all depends on a chip and it's version... plus you have to know how to solider tiny wires w/o damaging the surface...

5. WEStar

WEStar Active member

If going for the magic, get magic V. Also, there's a new mod that's supposed to be out Called DUO which is cheaper and only needs 17 wires soldered compared to about 23 on the other 3 mods although, I haven't heard too much about this DUO.

6. Gndcomm

Gndcomm Guest

Many thanks to all who have taken the time to make suggestions on my original post. They are all appreciated.