1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

backup of Securom protected DVD

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by dane2288, Jun 27, 2007.

1. dane2288

dane2288 Member

I'm having some trouble making a backup copy of a securom protected DVD. I've tried searching the AfterDawn forums as well as CDFreaks user forums for information on backing up a Securom protected DVD and it all appears to be out of date. I've trying copying the DVD (USA Hockey instructional video) using the most recent versions of: CloneCD, BlindWrite, Clone2DVD and Alcohol 120% and nothing is working. When I place the copied DVD in my drives I get an error message indicating that the DVD is a copy and to insert the original.

I've tried a couple different kinds of media (memorex and maxell), but that doesn't seem to be the issue either.

My machine configuration includes a P4 2.8 GHz processor, 1 GB RAM, 2 DVD burners (Sony DRU-170C and Plextor PX-740A) and a whole lot of frustration. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2007
  3. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

h

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2007
  4. dane2288

dane2288 Member

I have tried the AnyDVD/CloneDVD combination, but I'll try again. Also, on your guides page I did notice information on making sure my drives are verifying DMA settings. I've noticed this being a key setting when using Alchohol as the Securom protection seems dependent upon this. So, I'll check that as well and see what happens.

Thanks for help and keep your fingers crossed.

5. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

if anydvd won't get it done try DVDFab Decrypter. if either of those two work its either a very weird copy protection or the DVD is to scratched to encode

6. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

7. dane2288

dane2288 Member

Okay, things not going as planned, but still hoping to figure this out.

First, I went back and tried to use AnyDVD and Clone2DVD. No luck. I created a webpage that has some screenshot of the file structure of the DVD I'm trying to backup as I believe this might be relevant.

I also tried the DVDFab (HD and Platinum versions), but still no luck. I tried the HD Decrypter version first, but it seems to only copy the files in the VIDEO_TS folder as it took about 3 seconds and only copied 7.21 MB of data. So I installed the Platinum version so I could try to clone the DVD. Still no luck.

FYI: I did disable AnyDVD prior to running both versions of DVDFab by way of the AnyDVD tray icon.

I also tried to read and burn the DVD from both the Sony and the Plextor drives.

One last item... the DVD is scratch free. The securom protection is a bitch.

Anybody have any ideas? Thanks

8. dane2288

dane2288 Member

Another thought... does the version of Securom matter? If so, I need the name of a good utility to verify which version is on this DVD. The DVD was produced in 2006 so it must be very new.

Also, here is a link to the error message I'm receiving when I play the backup DVDs.

http://www.securom.com/message.asp?m=copy&c=1000

Thanks

9. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

From what I've read, this is an older protection strategy developed by Sony, If so CloneCD will eat this thing for lunch,
    Here are a couple of links which describe how to do a 1 to 1 copy of your disk.

I don't have any games that CloneCD has failed to back up for my kids, so give it a shot.
    CloneCD

Guide 1
    Guide 2

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  10. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007