1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup of the REAL San Andreas

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by kenownryu, Oct 27, 2004.

1. kenownryu

kenownryu Member

I just tried backing up my real copy of GTA San Andreas and it just won't work. It will show the first two Rockstar logos and then the intro. After that it will go to the Grand Theft Auto San Andreas screen and just freeze there forever. I'm using 4.7 GB Verbatim DVD-R. I've used these before with no problem. I burned the the backup using a newly installed Alcohol 120 on my friends laptop. It averaged 2.1x. Any help would be MUCH appreciated. (I've wasted two discs so far.)

2. madmax69

madmax69 Member

try dvddecrypter at 1x......Read then Write...if you are using the latest decrypter it will ask you to select the mds file and thats fine......

3. punx777

punx777 Regular member

swapping or chip?

4. gravegod

gravegod Member

I tried backing up mine as well today and I used DVD Decrypter for backing up. It did back up fine but havnet had a chance to burn it and try it. I was surprised that it was only 1 Layer and only 4.19 GB's. I'll post up my results once I have it backed up.

Sorry no help so far as i'm a newbie to his myself.

BTW not to hijack this thread i was looking for a thread that talks about backing up multiple ps2 games on 1 dvd-/+ R disk. I have a few on my HD which I wish to back up on just one instead of wasting a few dvd-r's on them. Anyone have any leads on this?

5. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

6. sosotiit

sosotiit Member

That thing of stalling after the first two screen is specific to certain modchip. You probably have a Magic. I know other mod do not have any problems.

Anyway I have a magic as well and mad it work the following way:
    -Put your backup in the tray, close the tray and Put you ps2 to off (by holding the reset for a few second).
    -Do not open the ps2 with the reset, but start the ps2 by pressing the open tray button.
    -Wait until the 'navigator' appears and close the tray.
    It worked here with v7 and magic chip , hope it helps.
    It is a good trick to start from the tray instead of the reset switch with the magic.
    Hope it helps you, let us know.

7. gamemaka

gamemaka Guest

I backed mine up with RecordNow Max. I copied directly from the disc to a Ritek G05. It played fine for me with no problems. I'm using a fliptop with SMD. Maybe you have a bad copy.

8. BurnerNB

BurnerNB Guest

Yup, no problem here either. I backed up my copy with DVD Decryptor and it works fine. I have a modchip inside that I got overseas, not sure which kind.

9. kenownryu

kenownryu Member

punx777: chip
    sosotiit: Unfortunately your magic trick didn't work. It just stays at the browser options screen.

10. madmax69

madmax69 Member

Kenownryu,

Did you try ripping and burning with decrypter????

If you have had success making bakups with that media then it probably isn't the media...and if you are able to play backups then it probably isn't your chip either....there shouldn't be any issue with San Andreas...many have made a succesful backup of this game...bottom line if your orginal gameis messed up...decrypter won't rip it ...at least it shouldn't...so if it rips...it should be fine then you just have to burn it on good media or media that works well with your ps2....just burn at 1x and don't touch your computer...stay away...hands off....

11. kenownryu

kenownryu Member

madmax: Lol I'll try that and update tomorrow. Later guys!

Before I go. Ive never used decryptor before. Could you post a step by step guide on using it? Settings, preferences, etc.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2004
  12. legasus9

legasus9 Member

I got GTA San Andreas yesterday and used Nero to copy dvd. I got both a successful read and write. I put the game in my version 1 ps2 and used swap w/slide card and the game has played flawlessly so far, no cd loader necessary. I have an HP 2.6ghz 80gig hd, 200jdvd burner, 512 mg ram, and used verbatim dvd+r. Everything seems to work fine so far. It is definately dvd5 for all the doubters out there. Wooohoooo. Is there any problem with Nero? It works perfectly fine for me, or is DVD decrypter better.

13. kenownryu

kenownryu Member

Ive dled DVD Encryptor. Ive never used decryptor before. Could you post a step by step guide on using it? Settings, preferences, etc.

14. bigtoddi

bigtoddi Guest

hi there

i was just wondering,
    if i was to get my friends copy of gta san andreas and put it in my dvd writer and done a straight dvd copy would it work on my ps2 even tho it isn't chipped?

cheers

15. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

No, you need some kind of mod to play backups.

16. bigtoddi

bigtoddi Guest

ok cool cheers mate

17. kenownryu

kenownryu Member

BTW I have a version 4 ps2 with a Magic 3.1+ modchip, if that has anything to do with why san andreas is being an sob.

18. BerinG

BerinG Member

whats with the "REAL" gta: sa.. is there a fake one out on sell?

just rip it.. and burn it slow

19. wong_c_fu

wong_c_fu Regular member

I also had no problems with this GTA:SA I just used DVD Decryptor to make the image and then used DVD Decryptor again to burn it to a Benq DVD-R at 2.4X speed. I've had none of the problems people on this board are having. It's a perfect backup! So I suggest you just try using Decryptor if you haven't already done so. I'm using a Mod-chip as well, don't know what version or model though.

And about loading the game into the PS2, these are my steps if I experience loading problems from time to time. With the tray open, put the backup in, press and hold the RESET button till the tray closes and the PS2 turns OFF on it's own. Now you can release the RESET button, then press and hold it again till it comes on and you see the "Sony Computer Entertainment" welcome screen, then release the RESET and you're done.

BUt then again, I hardly ever do this. Only if a game has trouble booting. I usually just pop the game in close the tray and it goes no problems, just like GTA. Good luck figuring it out!

20. legasus9

legasus9 Member

Does anybody on this board ever use Nero? I have backed up numerous games with it and it never fails. Only game that I can't do is Guy Game, but for obvious reasons. If the game is copied successfully by Nero, than the backup should work just fine, correct? Or am I making a successful backup that won't work right. I did backup Vice city the same way and once in a while the game jams up with the error reading disc pop up, but I think that is just because my PS2 is an original version 1. Any thoughts would be appreciated.