1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup playback problems

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by ybor, May 4, 2005.

1. ybor

ybor Member

I've made a few backups using both DVDDeecrypter and DVDShrink over the past few months and on occassion I've run into a problem where about halfway through the movie backup disk it will freeze on me when playing in my Toshiba stand alone or some have just begun to skip and pixilate for awhile then straighten out. I'm wondering what are some issues that could cause this. I've been using Verbatim Dual Layer disks which can be pretty pricey to have bad burns with. My burner is a Sony DRU-710A. I'm pretty sure I've been burning at 2.4x on the Verbatim DVD+R Dual Layer disks.

2. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

+R media may be your problem generally -R DVD's are about 10% more compatible in set top players.-R plays 93%,+R plays 83%,DVD-ROM plays 100%. If you can change your booktype with Decypter to DVD-ROM this should help. Im not sure but I think since your burner is Sony it's actually made by Lite-On. You need to be sure on your burn speed sometimes dvd decrypter will default to max, This would be a major problem with this drive I know the errors on disk with this burner go way up anything over 8X. Try -R disks with that toshiba player I'll bet that fixes your problem. I have the same drive you (DRU710A) have +R disks will not play on my xbox -R play fine. Pretty much the same thing you described start pixilating and all that crap. My Apex will play any thing you throw in it. Verbatum,Tiyo Yuden,Maxell +/-R are on Sony's website being compatible media for sony drive, I've used all 3. I have found after lot's of burns at diffrent speeds and diffrent media. Verbatum 8X+R(MCC003)Media burned at 6X have very low PI and PO errors using Nero cd quality tests. Also Tiyo yuden 4X -R media had great scans. Not sure of media codes on Tiyo disks, you may have to get the Tiyo 8X-R the 4X-R may be hard to find now. Newegg.com does not sell Tiyo Yuden maybe had something to do with the Tiyo fakes I've read people speak of on forum.

Good Luck

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i've not used any dual layer discs yet, but to me this is not a + or - format problem persay. That would result in the disc either playing or not, being recognised or not; but not skipping or freezing. Other than that i don't know a bout DL media specifically (yet)

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

ybor,
    Does the backup play ok on your pc with the dvdrw you burned it on?

5. paztelu

paztelu Regular member

I have the same drive and I been trying to do PS2 backups and they DONT work with DVD+R (and if they do they freeze lots) so I tried using DVD-R and backups worked perfectly, and also for DVD Movies I use DVD+R and DVD-R but always choosing book type: DVD-ROM and they both work perfectly on standalone players.

6. ybor

ybor Member

I haven't watched an entire movie on the drive to check if it freezes midway through, but I have had one movie that would play on my drive and not the stand alone. It wouldn't even recognize the disk. Funny thing was I used same disks and programs to create that backup as others that played fine. Its just been a crap shoot on whether I get a good backup and I've been looking for the steps to ensure a better burn.
    From what I'm reading I need to stick with -R format disks and I will try that idea about using book type DVD-Rom. Is this a selection when using Nero?

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

don't forget that you can't booktype -R discs, only + format...

8. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

If you're going to play all your backed up movies on your PS2, then yes... change the booktype into dvd-Rom on any +R/+RW and make sure you have top quality medias too. However, not all PS2 likes to play/read the +RW though. Easy and simple is to go with -R's, then you're out of misery. Now if you're going to play your backed up movies on your stand alone dvd player, then make sure the player is at least 1 year old or new - this pretty much can handle any thing from -r/-rw/+r/+rw/+r dl.

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

PS2's tend to prefer dvd-r's, while set top players are most compatable with dvd-rom.