1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup plays but the original doesn't

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by michigan, Sep 13, 2004.

1. michigan

michigan Guest

Here's a new one I did a backup of Jersey Girl and the original won't play on any players but the backup will. kThis is a new one to me.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]emachines T1862, 1.8ghz, 762 ram, 60gig hdd, 10gig hdd, lite-on multiformat dvd, 1394 IEEE[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2004
  2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

I had the same problem with Confessions Of A Teenage Drama Queen ... lol (it was for my daughter) :)

Very, very odd. The original wouldn't play in any standalones or my XBox. Never figured out why.

3. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

This may not be so hard to understand. The way things are, when we conduct a simple electronic operation (e.g. playing a DVD), we are actually putting together a huge combination of hardware, software, and technologies. So for some manufacturers who had used a less well-known technology in producing their DVDs, or for copy protection purpose, a slight checksum difference may render the disc not playable. On the other hand, copy programs are meant to be flexible for the job they intend to do. So for the most part, they are written like disc repair programs, and this flexibility would be implanted onto the copy. That's why in many cases disc copies are much more user friendly than the originals.

4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I won't dispute your reasoning as to why an original might have problems even though the copy doesn't, but I think it's more than a slight overstatement to say "many times". I'm sure that it happens, but I've never seen it personally, and I've been watching DVDs since the first generation players became available.

5. michigan

michigan Guest

After over 300 movies this is the first one I've seen or even heard of other than flip218's "daughter's" (yeah sure it was ;) Drama Queen disc.

6. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

I was referring to user friendly.