1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

backup problems.

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by mzero, Sep 20, 2004.

1. mzero

mzero Member

Hi,
    I have a PS2 with the MESSIAH 2 mod chip installed on it and i tried to backup a dvd game and burn it onto a DVD-R disc it doesnt play.
    PS2 MODEL - SCPH-30003
    MOD-CHIP - MESSIAH 2
    DVD-RW - MSI DVD RW +R -R DUAL LAYER
    DVD MEDIA - datewrite-r (4x) & goallover dvd-r(x)
    SOFTWARE - DVD Decrypter, NERO (when i select 1x on DVD Decrypter it still goes up to 4x)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2004
  2. bboy_flex

bboy_flex Regular member

What type of game are you burning to burn. Also at what speed are you burning. One more thing, i would suggest getting better media like ritek dvd-r or tdk.

3. mzero

mzero Member

The game im trying to burn is "GUILTY GEAR XX" (3.82 GB) and i always try to write at 1x but the program never lets me write at that speed, ive tried DVD Decrypter and select 1x to write at but it goes up to 4x always... but apart from the dvd media, is my console capable of playing those dvd -r, etc..?...

4. bboy_flex

bboy_flex Regular member

your console should be able to play dvd-r. The reason your burner is burning at 4x instead of 1x is because of the firmware installed, thats my guess. Have you ever burned any other games and had this problem or is this the first?

5. mzero

mzero Member

These are my only attempts, i only got the DVD-RW about couple of weeks. can you please explain to me about the firmware?.. and what needs to be done inorder for me to write at 1x?... is there anything i can do to get it to write at 1x?...

thanx in advance.

6. bboy_flex

bboy_flex Regular member

Well what you gotta do is go to the website that made your burner. If your burner was made by TDK then go to the TDK website and search for your burner and go to the download section of that site where it will have the different firmware listed and the instructions in using it.

7. mzero

mzero Member

I went to the offical MSI website to find the firmware but because its new there is no firmware currently available... the model of my DVD RW is (MS-8416B), can i use a alternative firmware?... but from the same company but a lower make?...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2004
  8. bboy_flex

bboy_flex Regular member

Im not sure about that. I have heard that if you use firmware that is intended for another burner model that you could premanetly mess up your burner. I wouldnt try using other firmware that isnt intended for my burner.

9. mzero

mzero Member

Thanx alot anyway man. ive emailed the company and see what happens but i was able to find out more information about my drive,

(1) OSD Manufacturer MSI (BNQ)
    (1) OSD Model Name MS-8416B (ATAPI DVD+/-R/RW16XMAX)
    (1) OSD Chipset Vendor Unknown
    (1) OSD Firmware Version 1.00

BNQ its that BENQ?...

10. bboy_flex

bboy_flex Regular member

Im not sure if BNQ is BENQ.

11. mzero

mzero Member

Today i tried my friends copy of FINAL FANTASY X2 (DVD) and it works fine.. still no luck with the burning.. ive posted in the offical MSI forums and email the company for any new firmware but still nothing...
    Would it make a difference if i used DVD+R, instead of DVD-R?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2004
  12. bboy_flex

bboy_flex Regular member

Using dvd+r shouldn't make any difference. U You said that Final Fantasy worked fine. The problem might be the game itself. Its possible that you need cd loader or dvd loader to make the game work. I suggest burning another game that you already have just to see whether its the game or your modchip.

13. Djlai78

Djlai78 Member

Should have gotten a Fliptop.

14. mzero

mzero Member

I tried backing up my ps2 dvd game, it loads and shows PS2 then it goes to blank screen and stays there... how do i use DVDLOADER?...

15. bboy_flex

bboy_flex Regular member

Using dvd loader:
    1. Insert dvd loader and let it boot.
    2. Select option needed to play game ex. 5v3 no PN
    3. Press eject and put in burned game.

To find out if your game needs dvd loader go to www.swapmagicfix.com

To get dvd loader go to www.ps2ownz.com or you can go once again to www.swapmagicfix.com and download cd loader. It is the samw thing as dvd loader except you burn it onto a cd not a dvd.

Another thing, yoo said that you tried backing up another ps2 game and the same thing happened. It is possible that your modchip isnt installed properly. Also your laser could be dirty and you might just need to clean it.

16. thewaksta

thewaksta Member

You shouldnt need DVD loader with your Messiah 2 chip. I have the same thing installed and have never had problems loading games. I havent played guilty gear but I have backed up loads of other DVD games and played them on my V5 Japanese PS2 and they all run fine.

17. mzero

mzero Member

Today i backed up "DEVIL MAY CRY" using DVD Decrypter and then burned it onto a ritek g04 disc at 4x because my DVD WRITER doesnt allow me to write at anything lower and the game didnt work!.. so ive decided to take my console to get a check up and everything, i think it might be the mod-chip or something... the weird thing is, it plays all psx1 games, backed up, import, etc.. all psx1 games and for ps2 it plays original and backed-up silver bottom disc(s)??... weird isnt it?...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2004
  18. mzero

mzero Member

Well today i took my PS2 console down to have a look at and it turns out that the laser lens needed replacement and now some games have started to work, and the rest i think are bad burns.. anyway i would like to thank everyone for there help!..

Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
  19. bboy_flex

bboy_flex Regular member

No problem man.