1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup Solution Poll

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Gmrpr7, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Gmrpr7

Gmrpr7 Member

Hey everyone I was planning to get something to play backups on my PS2. I was thinking of either slide card or flip top (probably not a mod chip... to much hassle). I don't know what to get so can u guys post ur opinions of what I should get and why.
    Thanks

2. mgb0101

mgb0101 Member

i've only had the chance to use a slide card before i got a mod chip, and it worked pretty well. Just kind of a hassle to swap out everytime, but it worked, and that's what mattered.

3. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

if you are going to choose between a swipe card and fliptop, get the fliptop. Its a lot easier with the fliptop.

4. Gmrpr7

Gmrpr7 Member

If anyone has a good reason to get a chip Id like to hear it because I just saw the DMS3 Chip and it lokks pretty good but the whole soldering thing kinda makes me wonder if the PS2 would get messed up.

5. ls3mach

ls3mach Member

Here are my thoughts on this. I had just bought a new PS2 and did not want to open the cover and void the warranty, so I bought a slide card. It works excellent, not hard to do just a pain to always have to swap. This will be the same with a fliptop. Except you have to open the cover. If I was going to break open my case. I would do a mod-chip. Then it automatically loads your backups. No hassle with swapping.

Hope this helps

6. colburn

colburn Member

Get a dms3, got one put in a couple weeks ago and its great. This was my first time soldering and first time installing a chip and the install went fine. Just do a lot of reading up before you start and take your time during the install.

7. Irocz005

Irocz005 Regular member

I would get a pre-modded PS2 like I have if you had the money. There are some decent deals from several websites you can check out. Just do a search. Also you can send in your unit to have one put in, which will include a warranty. Just make sure you send it to a recommended place.

8. Gmrpr7

Gmrpr7 Member

I already have a PS2 and I dont really like the idea of sending it to a company.

9. Gmrpr7

Gmrpr7 Member

Im never going to get anymore info...I barely posted this thread 2 days ago and its already on the 3rd page.

10. Irocz005

Irocz005 Regular member

Well in that case, I think the majority of people prefer the Flip Top.

11. Gmrpr7

Gmrpr7 Member

But doesnt the DMS3 Chip have more features than a flip-top.

12. Gmrpr7

Gmrpr7 Member

I want to keep this post I really need the info

13. ls3mach

ls3mach Member

What do you mean features. Pay attention. No swap trick is necassary. All mod-chips do the same thing let you play backups. Now either you have to do a swap trick or you dont. That is it. No other features. Just look for the one that will be best for your skill level to install and can be turned off for online use (if applicable). Also it needs to fit your budget. That is all the information you need.

14. Gmrpr7

Gmrpr7 Member

DMS3 does have other features:
    - Firmware upgrade via CD-R
    - Can play programs like a DivX player, SNES Emulator, and Genisis Emulator
    - Sleep Mode (like you mentioned)

Those are the only ones I know of.

15. convolute

convolute Regular member

I have the slide-card and it is working fine. One thing to consider however is that the slide-card/flip tops cannot play PS1 games with swap magic disks. (to my knowledge) I think I've heard that you can with Game Shark or AR depending on the version, but that I am unsure about.

Although the flip top is more convenient, you do have to open up the ps2, whereas the slide card you don't. I found that the instructions with the slide card are horrible, and I downloaded a video that was equally horrible in instructing me what goes where. However, once you get the hang of it, it's really easy.

16. Gmrpr7

Gmrpr7 Member

I think I'm gonna get a DMS3 Mod Chip.